1. kehl

kehl New Member

Natural Beauty

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kehl, Sep 3, 2008.

Nature is a wonderful thing aint it? Dense trees, mountains, rain, fog, deer...the list goes on and on and on. I live in Colorado Springs and I freaking love it. Beauty is all around me, everytime I leave my house i'm surrounded by healthy trees and sky scraping mountains.

Garden Of the Gods. Look it up. It's breathtaking, and it's right outside my door(well I do have to drive a mile or two).

I'm not trying to brag, i'm trying to proclaim.

Anyone else with me. Where is your natural beauty located? The next city over? In a different country?

2. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

I actually live right next to the Amazon, it's quite pretty sometimes.

3. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

My "natural beauties" are Washington state forests, Banff National Park, Iceland hot springs, anywhere along the Amazon and the tropical north of Queensland, Australia.

4. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

There's a desert mountain preserve not to far from my house. Also, about 50 miles there's the wonderful and vast Superstition Wilderness. A lot of people think the desert is desolate, but I think it's a different kind of beauty from lush green forests.

5. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

6. Bluemouth

Bluemouth Contributor Contributor

I like Wales.

7. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

Thank you. :)
    You should come visit sometime. ;)

8. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

(Sorry for the double post.)
    The hills, the chapel and graveyard, and the lake, are all by my grandparents house (I practically live there...in fact, for five nights a week, I do). It's really pretty from on top of the mountain, and the chapel's gorgeous. Loads of ivy and roses and stuff.

9. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

Natural Beauty is the only thing that interests me anymore. For me, natural beauty is everywhere with each scene as beautiful as the next; therefore, I have no specific place(s).

10. tehuti88

tehuti88 New Member

I couldn't live somewhere without trees and woods. How can people tolerate it?? In fact, I grow sad every autumn because soon the trees will be barren. I could tolerate winter much better if there were at least leaves. :(

And the lakes are beautiful too. Where I am, there always seem to be lakes nearby.

My natural beauty is in northern Michigan, especially Mackinac Island. It's a huge tourist spot but every time I go I walk out of the town with all its fudge and its Grand Hotel and just spend time in the woods and looking at the natural landmarks--sea stacks, arches, caves. Most of the tourists don't even know what they're missing. I love the place so much I'll shut up right now because I could go on about it forever.

11. Rei

Rei Contributor Contributor

St. Lawrence River! At least in the parts that aren't icky from pollution.

12. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

You might also want to not talk about it so that nobody gets ideas and starts invading your places and messing them up. I have a place like that, it's called the San Rafael Swell. It's amazing desert filled with rock formations and criscrossed by a maze of canyons ranging from huge to tiny. My favorite are the slot canyons that are a couple hundred feet deep, and just wide enough to walk through. Probably the most famous place on the Swell is Goblin Valley, but the rest of it is almost untouched.

13. lessa

lessa New Member

5 minutes drive or a 20 min. walk from our back door.
    Lake Superior Pebble Beach.
    most beautiful place in the world.

14. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I spend a lot of time in the State Forests near where I live. They are constantly changing, day to day, even hour to hour (lighting, rainfall, new growth, animals), so it's not easy to get bored.

One of my favorite vacation places is Acadia National Park in Maine. It boasts the highest mountain on the American Atlantic coast, Cadillac Mountain, and the rocky shoreline is breathtakingly beautiful. I love the ocean in any case, butthe breaking waves on the Maine coast are most impressive.

I have only been to Arizona once, the week of 9/11/2001 as it turns out. But I fell in love with the stark beauty of the desert near Phoenix while I waited for the air traffic to reopen.

And then there are the giant redwoods in Big Basin in California. Immense forests with trees well over ten feet in diameter. Some have hollows at the base of thr trunk, almost as large as a hut. The silence of the forest is broken only by the call of the ravens soaring among the trees.

These are just a few of my favorite places.

15. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

This is a picture of one of the larger rivers flowing through El Yunque National Park in Puerto Rico.

[​IMG]

And this is Flamenco Beach, also part of Puerto Rico.

[​IMG]

I pray that these places will not fall victim to my people's addiction to cement.

16. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Two Lights State Park in Maine:

[​IMG]

After a winter ice storm in New England:

[​IMG]

17. NaCl

NaCl Contributor Contributor

When I was a pro bass fisherman, I drove across the USA many times. Here are some of my fondest memories:

- The "red rock" country in Arizona is breathtaking, especially in the early morning when light strikes it from low on the horizon. Of course, Arizona hosts the Grand Canyon, a spectacle beyond words.

- Utah - one of the great "secrets" of this state is Lake Powell. This Colorado River system lake is bigger and deeper than the Grand Canyon, only it is filled with water. I have positioned my boat virtually touching a cliff wall that extended up 300' above me, and when I looked at my boat's depth finder, the water immediately below me was another 300' deep! I've traveled miles up narrow canyons in my boat with towering walls only a few feet on either side of me . . . it makes a man feel very small in the universe.

- The mountains of Colorado with valleys full of Aspen trees in between.

- Seeing the actual curvature of the Earth while crossing the flat expanses of Kansas.

- Wyoming - is there any greater grandeur than Yellowstone National Park?

- Rolling hills in southern Missouri are gorgeous . . . they are a color of green that seems like it is glowing.

- Kentucky and Tennessee have more rivers than any other place I've visited.

- Beaches of South Carolina, Florida, all the Gulf of Mexico states . . . my God, our country is blessed!

- And, then I return to the West Coast with Redwood forests, Giant Sequoias, Half Dome, lava fields in Lassen Park, the great coastline in Oregon and Washington, the Columbia River.

There is NO one "best" scene in nature for me. Each occupies its own moment in my memory and stands uniquely in its own "natural beauty" or breathtaking magnificence.

18. Mateius

Mateius Member

It is a nice place to live, but trust me, the rain will quickly get on your nerves. :)

19. CDRW

CDRW Contributor Contributor

That's not possible. Cruising down the freeway with the window open, here I come!

20. The Freshmaker

The Freshmaker <insert obscure pop culture reference> Contributor

I love where I live, because it is so beautiful. Just going out on my balcony, I have a gorgeous view of the inter coastal waterway. During the day, the water is lovely blue and the sun sparkles off it. At night, you can see a surprising amount of stars for being in the city. And our window faces west, so there is always a breathtaking view of the sunset.

On cloudy summer nights, I love to go to the waterfront downtown. There's a certain spot where it's dark and quiet, and I go there to watch the lightning.

Also, here are some pictures of Fort DeSoto Park, about ten minutes from my place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Lucy E.

Lucy E. Active Member

I second that! Still, it's a nice day today. :)

22. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

The area I live in is filled with forests and fields. It's a nice place.

But to be honest, my favourite place has to be the Lake District :) It's about 5 hours away, but it's all so beautiful :)

23. Rei

St. Lawrence River
    [​IMG]

24. Rei

This is just a few minutes away from where I went to college. If you stand in the right stop, even though this is just a few blocks away from the mall, you can't see any sign that you're even near a city.

[​IMG]

25. lessa

lessa New Member

[​IMG]

if it shows up this is just one of thousands of beautiful spots on the north shore of Lake Superior.

sorry will work on the size before I try this again.