1. stormcat

stormcat Active Member

Name changing ceremony

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by stormcat, Aug 25, 2014.

Halfway through my story, my MC changes her name. Now, in my story, many other women also change their names to help hide from abusive spouses. At the shelter where MC is staying, they hold a little bit of a party to celebrate the taking on of a new name (and hopefully, a better life). But what sort of things could be implemented into the ceremony? All I know for certain is that it will end with my MC and some other women sharing cake.

2. CastleEra

CastleEra Member

It sounds like a solemn event. Like someone casting off her old self in hope of a brighter and better future. Events like these shouldn't be overly happy. I imagine the atmosphere in a room like this is one that is heavy and quiet, an inert sadness during the ceremony as those attending are reminded of the things they try to escape from. When I wanted to move on from something, I burned the things that reminded me of that. Watching the ashes rise into the night sky felt like watching the shackles of that old thing soar free. Just an idea, but maybe have your MC burn all the papers and cards she has bearing her old name; signifying once and for all the rejection of the past associated with that name.

3. Alexa C. Morgan

Alexa C. Morgan Member

Burning ceremony sounds right. Lighting up a candle on a paper boat/baloon and letting it go in the air... Also, cutting her hair (changing looks) could also be a thing.

4. stormcat

stormcat Active Member

okay, any other suggestions besides burning things?

5. jaebird

jaebird Active Member

Why couldn't it be a happy event? I don't mean like here we are and "okay now everything is perfect" attitudes. But a hopeful event. They've already spent enough time dealing with the repercussions of their abuse, why can't they have a decent time for once? I mean, it is a party. With cake.

As for what could go on during it, well, people could write poetry, symbolizing their freedom from their previous situation and read it aloud to the group. Display photography that they've taken, or someone else's work that they find meaning in. Let them use their creativity to express their hopes for the future in spite of what they've gone through. They could write things they want to let go of on paper, tie them to helium balloons and release them, or lock the papers or other items in small boxes and throw them into the ocean (or other large body of water). People could share their goals and their dreams, encouraging one another to accomplish them. Will they reveal their new names here? This could be part of it, too.

6. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

It is, in a sense, a birthday or a rebirth. You could look up various birthday and birth ceremonies in various cultures.

- Cake with candles.
    - Balloons (I just saw a suggestion that for a child's birthday, you fill their room with balloons)
    - Dancing wildly to the Beatles' 'Birthday'.

Uh....

OK, there must be more. Birthday, birth, christening, that sort of thing. You could have a tradition where each of the women involved bring some birthday tradition from their lives.

7. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

The white witch chief ordainer sprinkles everybody with homoeopathic waters, they share placenta, and on command plunge daggers through the face of Hugh Heffner. Later they whack a symbolic sperm pinata.

'Reborn, she is reborn...'

'Ursula reborn,'

'Reborn Ursula, arise.'

There's a puny guy in the corner - he wears only a leather apron, splashes water on to the hot coals. It gets very hot and steamy, kind of a sauna atmosphere, probably in the woods. Everybody is proper naked by now, when the new age gong music subsides and the opening chords of Iron Butterfly 'Inagardadavida' kicks in. Full size bottles of Jack Daniels are passed around and the after-party really fizzes a firecracker.

Then I get back from work:

'What the bloody hell do you women think you're playing, get back to the scullery.'

But this time it doesn't work and the dozen hefty ladies writhe, climb upon me and I am literally shagged to death as part of the ceremony.

Swiveltaffy likes this.