Tags:
  1. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

Name for a procedure?

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by OurJud, Oct 15, 2017.

My story deals with a procedure that performs the erasure of memories, but I'm getting tired of referring to it as 'the memory-wipe procedure' whenever I need to mention it in the narrative. I've used 'device' a couple of times, but only as a holding name as it doesn't sound contextually correct to me. The same can be said for 'invention'.

I think I'm looking for a noun to describe it, but come up blank all the time. Or failing that a product name. Problem there is that it isn't intended for the open market.

2. Surcruxum

Surcruxum Member

How about making an acronym like the MEP (Memory Erasure Procedure) or something similar to this?

OurJud likes this.
  3. OurJud

Yes, I've done this for a separate (but related) procedure, so it could get confusing.

I still like the idea, though, and if they're different enough it could work. Thanks.

4. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Blanking process, routine wiping, erasure, memory reversion, mind reset, rollbacking. I had other methods @OurJud but was trying one of them when it went off accidentally. :meh:

OurJud likes this.
  5. OurJud

@SethLoki :D

I think the acronym is the way forward, as it's short and gives me a definite 'term/name' for the device, rather than having to keep using a descriptive set of words each time.

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Excision

OurJud likes this.