1. Aethni

Aethni New Member

Character acts against his usual behaviour

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Aethni, Mar 5, 2021.

I have my main character asked to do something that is against all his beliefs. He agrees to do this, but later in story I show that he did not in fact do the 'thing' - murder, in which he was asked to do. Now, for him to go against his beliefs, and the reader would know this, how do I make it believable to the reader. I want them to think, 'oh my god, he is really going to do this shit,' - and hopefully surprise them after so they will then think, 'damn, I knew he wouldn't, couldn't.'
    One of the reasoning I have used is that he promises to do the task as he sees it as a way of helping this person from a tormented life and thus, putting them out of their misery.

Hope I have made my thoughts clear. Any ideas welcome please.

2. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

Extreme circumstances. It's very easy to say I would never steal and don't believe in that action until you've been starving hungry and may never eat again. I would never commit murder but if that person was seriously threatening my life or someone else's I probably would. If desperate enough I believe people are capable of anything. So what are the circumstances he would commit a murder that he then decided not to commit? But if he does the reasoning you then, then doesn't do, he obviously didn't believe in their cause enough to even agree in the first place. Unless they told him lies to manipulate him into a murder that when he meets the person realises they are innocent?

I think you just need to kick it around a little more in your own head. You know the character and their beliefs better than anyone else. Belief can be an immensely powerful thing, to the point some people will allow death to happen to themselves or someone they love just to honour that belief.

Aethni likes this.
  3. Aethni

Aethni New Member

Hi cosmic lights, thank you for your reply. Yes, the lie is there, just worried if it is big enough. I will work on it more based on that lie and my m.c.'s reaction to that lie. Thanks.

cosmic lights likes this.
  4. nhope

nhope Member Reviewer

I think 'belief' is a strong word, not necessarily about committing murder, robbing a bank, stealing a car. Most people would like to think they wouldn't do, or be able to carry out, any one of these crimes, but, in the heat of the moment out of sheer panic or desperation, one just might.

Maybe twist your story a bit and present his life choices to show he would not under any circumstance do this, but yet, he does. Then who is he, what does he become from there? If you think about it in the reverse, maybe the story line will become clearer.

Aethni likes this.
  5. Aethni

Aethni New Member

Thanks nhope, some interesting points for me to think about.