1. Fantasyphanatic

Fantasyphanatic New Member

Character development for person in my story that discoveries he's really a dragon

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Fantasyphanatic, Oct 25, 2011.

In my book that I'm working on, I'm including a teenage boy who thinks he's from earth and a human, since he's been raised among humans, but in actuality, his true form is a dragon and he lives in a fantasy world. I could use some help in how to develop his character. I am considering to have him being overwhelmed and opposed at the beginning, and then later on accepting his heritage. Any hints how I should go about this?

2. Jhunter

Jhunter Mmm, bacon. Contributor

If you want to go with the normal formula everyone else and their mother uses, "Overwhelmed and opposed at the beginning," is the the way to go. But, I would suggest switching it up and being different. Especially since your story is about dragons. If you are going to write about something that is being written about a lot currently, you should write it as unique as possible.

3. James Berkley

James Berkley Banned

I would more go for a ‘wow this is awesome’ reaction then a overwhelmed one. it would be like being given the keys to a awesome bachelor pad with a; fully stocked bar of top shelf liquor, a garage full of Italian cars, a hot top that fits 10 plus you, and a helicopter with pilot.

4. Aeris

Aeris New Member

I agree that making him appalled and confused would be too common. Perhaps take a mixed approach? Maybe your character goes on a power trip, or whatever goals he was seeking are now altered because of his knew knowledge. His judgement could be way off and create new problems for himself. Make him abuse the power/knowledge he has?

5. SeverinR

SeverinR New Member

Understand them all but the:
    "Hot top that fits 10 plus you"
    oh, typo, you meant tub. I was trying to picture a shirt that someone would want and have several people be able to fit in it at the same time.

6. Quezacotl

Quezacotl New Member

If by this you mean Top Hat, I am sold. Top Hats and Monocles > Hot Tubs > Everything else.

He's a teenager. If he's a guy constantly picked on or rather submissive, its plausible to see him overwhelmed by this new world. If he's a bully, his shock period may quite a bit shorter. Once given the power, or the 'You're the Dragon now, Human!' speech and based on the world around him - if its a grimdark of dragon hunters and battles or a happy world of sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows, your character should change accordingly. You will know how they should change when the time comes for the change.