1. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Short Story Nameless MCs

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by deadrats, Mar 20, 2020.

What's everyone think about those nameless main characters running around all through the short story scene. You know the ones... first person, maybe present tense, no good spot to work in a name. Can we have such madness in literature?

I know there's an argument for not naming characters. However, I think it's almost always better for a character to have a name, especially a main character. So, how do you handle it when you're working in first person and there doesn't seem to be an easy spot to work it in?

That, and I'm open to discussing the whole naming not naming characters bit as it pertains to short stories. What are your thoughts on all this?

2. Dogberry's Watch

Dogberry's Watch Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2023

My argument is there is a name, we just don't have to know it for the story to work. Especially if it's a flash piece, where there's a limit on the words used. Names are important, yes, but they aren't necessary for every piece of storytelling there is.

In my opinion, of course.

Lifeline likes this.
  3. Storysmith

Storysmith Senior Member

I don't see why you should need to name your character. It gives an element of mystery to them. The Man With No Name wouldn't be quite so iconic if he had a name.

Bakkerbaard likes this.
  4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I think it's kind of gimmicky, but gimmicks can be extremely effective in small doses. A good gimmick can carry a short so long as the writer knows its limitations so... I don't know... spit it out before the flavor is gone?

Dogberry's Watch and Cave Troll like this.