1. manisir

manisir New Member

idea for writing crime thrillers and fantasy stories.

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by manisir, Feb 7, 2012.

are you struggling for a concept here is my idea for crime thrillers see daily news papers thoroughly. news papers are one of best sources for unsolved mysteries. mix those with your imagination solve the mystery using your imagination. original news are bland and straight forward make up with some twists and turns. better you can grasp the plot and develop on your own.
    for writing fantasy stories stick to the children and grasp their lies. may be you can get some idea. ;)

2. agentkirb

agentkirb New Member

That's an idea.

The way I usually do it... I watch a ton of crime/mystery TV shows. Not necessarily shows like Law and Order where the emphasis is more on the investigation than any actual "trick" to a crime that a detective is stumped by. I might see an episode where one of the MCs is abducted mid-show after finding out who the killer was and the other characters have to find him and figure out who the bad guy is. Obviously you don't just cut and paste the plot into your story, but you can easily take the idea of the MC getting abducted mid-show and put your own twist on it.

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The news is a potential source of inspiration for any kind of writing, not just crime novels. So is any television show that makes you think, "What if...?" You can also be inspired by conversations you overhear, scenery you pass while driving, or a weird dream you had.

In short, any stimulus is a potential story. Pay attention to your senses, and let your mind wander whenever it is safe to do so. You'll have more story ideas than you can ever exhaust.

4. joanna

joanna Active Member

Good idea. There are some crazy stories in the news. Especially where I'm at right now.

Reminds me of an an author talk I just went to. It was Diana Franklin and she wrote these true crime books. I don't have the patience for that kind of research, but it's a cool thing to do, if you like writing creative non fiction.