Tags:
  1. Evil Ferret of Randomness

Evil Ferret of Randomness New Member

Houston, Texas! (We don't ride horses, and no one

Names, names, the wonderful names!

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Evil Ferret of Randomness, Feb 15, 2009.

Okay, I have the plot and such worked out, so this is why I'm posting this here.
    The idea is that their is world peace. In order to maintain such peace, their is an assigned world leader. I need a name for the leader... No, not a name, I need a title. He needs a title. I figured Latin for President would do, but I neither have a Latin-English dictionary, nor can I find a Latin-English translator on the internet. If anyone here could help me with this problem, by either finding the translation or suggesting a better title, I would be in deep debt to them! :-D
    THANK YOU!

2. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

Ah i once had a problem with this. Suggestions

Hegemon
    Chancellor
    Supreme Commander
    emperor
    premier

(latin is: 'praesident' not much different though.)

It all really depending on what type of rule you want it to be.
    I'd try to make it up for a fresh approach.

3. Slippery

Slippery New Member

This is a cool thing to bring up because there are a ton of stories and movies out there that have dealt with this in interesting ways. First off, the name of the leader is implied by the type of nation. President, Prime Minister, Magistrate, Vice Cardinal, Emperor, King, Lord-Protector...

If there is world peace, that only implies to me that the types of the nations in the world have not changed, but there is a man to whom all other leaders bow. So how do you describe his position?

If he is assigned, not elected nor chosen by noble birth, then who assigns him? A congress of the leaders of the nations of the world? Or is it a committee?

The title would need to imply that he is of no one nation, but the world in its entirety, so...

By the way, this website does Latin. The results are pretty cool.

http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran?url=http%3A%2F%2F&type=text&text=President&from=eng&to=ltt

English: President

Latin: praesieo, praesedere, praesedi

4. Acglaphotis

Acglaphotis New Member

Here you go. It also explains how to use the latin word in a normal latin sentence, and gives you the complete etymology.

5. Evil Ferret of Randomness

I figured Latin is what we usually use when in reference to 'universal' thing, such as the names of animals, so I thought that would work. Seeing as it is, pretty much, the exact same thing, it looses the value I'd like it to have.

It isn't so much that he is assigned, but that he, more or less, created the peace to begin with. How the other nations really react to him isn't important, as the story takes place in America and will only make one reference to some place outside of America. So, I figure it would be what the American's would call him.

... Yea... My brain is being a loser today, I can't think of crap. XD

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Regius Supremus Hieronymous Bloortlepop

7. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

I'd go with hegemon myself, read the bean series by orson scott card to see why.

still laughing Cog :D

8. Evil Ferret of Randomness

I've heard of Bean. Don't know what it is about, but I've heard good things, and it's by Orson Scott Card, so I WANT to read it... Just can't find it...
    The short is going to be dark, so, I don't want to use anythin' that'll make people laugh. >_<

Cog... Um... What?

9. Slippery

Slippery New Member

The guy is responsible for the world peace? I suppose I shouldn't have assumed that this world peace was achieved through peaceful means. Maybe if we knew a little more about what happened, the title would be more clear.

10. Evil Ferret of Randomness

Well, the peace was achieved through peaceful means. The guy will be held in a positive light by all countries. Basically, he offered solutions, that no one else thought of, to different countries' economic and political problems, and causes peace between countries at war by doing this...

11. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

The first ones called ender's shadow. should be in a good library or bookstore.

If acheived by peacful means i think hegomon is the way to go.
    - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hegemon

12. Evil Ferret of Randomness

Hegomon makes sense. I'll go with that.

13. Diet Aether

Diet Aether New Member

spawn more overlords.

my vote goes with either "leader" (a subversion of sorts, since the last person to go by the title leader spelled it fuhrer) or that his name be made the title, similar to how czar is what came from the title "caesar"

14. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

overlords are fun :D

15. madhoca

madhoca Contributor Contributor

How is it possible for any one leader/group/nation to 'keep the peace'? How can one person/group speak for every person existing? No one is able to agree on a universal code of behaviour, unfortunately. There has to be an element of coercion. So, I'd be ironic and call him something like: The Lord High Peace Enforcer.
    I dislike the guy already.

16. Evil Ferret of Randomness

I dislike the guy as well... But... How he does it is to be a mystery, AKA I don't feel like gettin' into explanations.

Okay, so, final question. Lets say his last name is Sam. Would people call him Hegemon Sam, Hegemony Sam, or just Hegemon/Hegemony?

17. RIPPA MATE

RIPPA MATE New Member

the way i see it is that he would just be called The Hegemon. A name after it would not be required.

18. TwoToTango

TwoToTango New Member

Ohhhh, is he the anti-christ? :eek:

Hmmm, how about "Sarcalogos"?. I don't know. Just a spiffy name that came up when translating Christ to Latin through an online translator. Don't rely on that it actually means that though.

Just thought it would be ironic if he actually is the anti-christ. Of course you could use it in any case. If you want to. :p

As for the second, newer question. Just call him whatever you think sounds best smoothest, most readers won't really care for the logic behind it all anyway. As long as it sounds good they will be satisfied.

19. Emykei

Emykei New Member

Depending on whether or not this ruler is all-powerful:

"Grand Despot"

?

20. sweetchaos

sweetchaos New Member

Actually, the first book was Ender's Game and it was pretty awesome. I'm also interested in getting into the bean side of the series though. I think my library has it.