Tags:
  1. caters

caters Active Member

Names of Characters

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by caters, Apr 17, 2014.

Here is a link to my post about my book in the general writing forum:
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/new-earth-book.131909/

I am starting to write it now but I am having a bit of trouble. I don't know what to name my woman in the story but I don't always want to refer to her with she or the woman or something like that.

Do you have an idea about what I should name my female character?

2. Lea`Brooks

Lea`Brooks Contributor Contributor

You've included no details about the female character and what her personality is like. What does she look like? Is she short and fat or tall and thin? Is she caring and supportive? Or is she mean and judgmental? What are some other character names is your book?

3. caters

caters Active Member

The woman is tall and thin. She is also caring and supportive. I have no other character names in my book so far.

4. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Consider looking up female names which actually mean "tall" or "thin" or "caring" or "supportive". A quick Google search will help you with that. If that doesn't appeal to you, then just name her something for the sake of giving her a name when you're writing the novel, and then add her true name in later. She might even grow into her name, because that can also happen. :)

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I'd just browse a baby name site or take a star that maybe reminds you of your mc and see what characters they played. It will give you a good list of names -
    For instance Sarah Wayne Callies - ( the thin Walking Dead actress ) - has played a Chloe, Lori, Kate, Francine, Julia, Sara, etc.

6. Yoshiko

Yoshiko Contributor Contributor

You could be cliché and go with Eve or a variation of it e.g. Evangeline, Evelyn, etc.

If you can't think of anything straightaway then you could always use a placeholder. Don't feel the need to rush with names. I often use something silly until I can think of a more suitable name, for example, I once went through the first draft of a script with one of my characters simply known as "Nose". :)

7. Mans

Mans Contributor Contributor

Nora - Nancy - Millie - Lorelei - Susan - Sofia - Tina- Tallia - Hallie - Tory- Tailor - Shelly - Joanna- Becka -Jessie - Rebeca-Betty

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    caters likes this.
  8. Robert_S

Robert_S Senior Member

I found an Arabic name that means "dawn, beginning", Fajr.

Here's a few names that have "new" in their meaning:

ATHOL m & f Scottish
    From the name of a district in Scotland which was derived from Gaelic ath Fodhla "new Ireland".
    DAGNY f Swedish, Norwegian, Danish
    From the Old Norse name Dagný, which was derived from the elements dagr "day" and "new".
    İLKAY f & m Turkish
    Means "new moon" in Turkish, derived from ilk "first" and ay "moon".
    NOVA f English
    Derived from Latin novus meaning "new"... [more]
    OIGHRIG f Scottish
    Means "new speckled one" in Scottish Gaelic.
    SIGNÝ f Ancient Scandinavian, Norse Mythology
    Old Norse name which was derived from the elements sigr "victory" and "new"... [more]
    TORNY f Norwegian
    From the Old Norse name Þórný which was derived from the name of the Norse god Þórr (see THOR) combined with nýr "new".

9. Smoke Z

Smoke Z Active Member

http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/rebecca This site is especially helpful because it lists possible nicknames and invites people to tell stories about growing up with that name. It also has data on how popular the name was when your character was born.

10. Nooshi

Nooshi Member

Esther, Thea, Bronwen, Serena, Adelie, Saskia, Sanna, Roxana, Rosalind, Rowan, Romney, Rilian, Pemma, Nora, Olive, Melia, Aphra, Nemy (NEE-mee), Willa, Dagny, Calla, Cassia, Murray, Morgan, Mena.

11. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Whatever we say, however many suggestions we give you, in the end it is up to you to decide. It is your story, and no one knows this woman as much as you do. When the time is right the perfect name will come to you, I promise that!

12. Pandemonia

Pandemonia Member

How about something associated with tall, thin things - like Willow?