1. agasfer

agasfer Member

Punctuation Upper case lock for quotation marks? Caps lock doesn't do it

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by agasfer, Jul 11, 2016.

I want to insert a lot of question marks (when I am writing a draft quickly, I don't put the quotation marks. Please don't say, "You should have...") Now I need to go back and insert them. It takes more time if I have to first press Shift before pressing the quotation marks key ('/"). Once, not a problem. A thousand times, yes. Caps Lock works for continually inserting letters, but does not apply to the quotation marks key. (No idea why not.) The only trick I have until now is to convert my keyboard into a different alphabet (no problem, I have my keyboard configured for Russian), type a letter at the places I want quotation marks (say, щwordщ) for the whole document, and then use Replace (Find щ, Russian language, Replace ", English language) to get the result ("word"). That works. But isn't there any more direct way?

2. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

You could use a different character that won't be in your ms - brackets, say - to avoid switching to the other alphabet. Or just copy-paste from one quotation mark, if you find repeated ctrl-vs less tedious than shifting. (Also you said question marks the first time, might want to fix that because I was confused about what you meant at first.)

3. tonguetied

tonguetied Contributor Contributor

Caps lock is for letters not symbols, not the same function as shift. Why not use the grave accent ` and then replace with quotation marks? You seldom have a need to use the grave accent in writing unless you are writing something about programming IMO. Obviously you are looking for a one step solution and I have none to offer.