Naming main character after yourself?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by LA Bailey, Aug 27, 2016.

1. ChloeW

ChloeW New Member

Whenever I read Pride and Prejudice, I can't help but think it a bit odd that Jane Austen should have named a character Jane--even if she isn't the protagonist. It's always jarring for me, and that's a classic novel! Of course, you could take the fact that it's a classic novel and say that gives you a precedent to do it.

My brother is writing a novel in which the character is named after him, but is otherwise different than himself in every way. Personally, I would never do that. But then, I don't like my name very much.

It's all personal preference. It's your novel, and if it's good enough, the name of the character shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

2. NoGoodNobu

NoGoodNobu Contributor Contributor

Jane was such a common name though. It's like telling an author named John he can never use the name John as any sort of character.

Reading Austen's several novels, she basically used up every common female name of her era on one character or another throughout (however unimportant). I don't see her eventually using "Jane" as offputting, just because she happened to have that commonplace name herself. Especially as, from what I've gleaned of Austen's personality from her letters & even initially just from her works themselves, Austen felt nothing like her "Jane Bennet" so it didn't seem like a cameo or insert-author device at all.

However, whenever an author has a very distinct & unique name, sometimes it feels odd when a character shares it.

I just never question any James, Toms, or Emilys because they are in fact so mundane.

texshelters likes this.
  3. mg357

mg357 Active Member

I occasionally use my first name or my last name as names for my story characters. For example I wrote a short story about a farm hand and I used my last name as his first name.

4. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

@LA Bailey - Have you already written your story? If not, are you thinking it might give you an interesting perspective to use your own name? If that's the case, why not go ahead and write it that way. You can always change the name later, if you want.

5. froboy69

froboy69 Member

This is actually a thing? I don't think that I would personally feel comfortable; people would try too hard to match you with the MC just because you both share the same name.

6. SmashedPumpkin

SmashedPumpkin New Member

Personally I think if I used my name for a main character it would heavily impact what I'm able to write about that character. Whether I liked it or not I would inevitably give them preferential treatment, for better or for worse, and I don't think that's such a good idea. If you've ever played a game where you can name your character it's often a little awkward naming it after yourself (probably not the best example but it's one I know well).

7. Gholin

Gholin Member

Darren Shan did it in The Vampire's Assistgant series. But, I agree with what's said here that typically, it's maybe not the best idea. It can stifle your creativity and look like author insert or wish fulfillment.

8. Carly Berg

Carly Berg Active Member

I never really thought about it before but now I want to do it.

Bill Chester likes this.
  9. Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse Member

I think it's a cute idea...

10. Dnaiel

Dnaiel Senior Member

I snuck myself in my novel, but with an altered, similar name. Not the MC, though. It's a cameo that I feel brings me closer to the story and the characters. Alternatively, instead of just naming your MC after yourself, how about a token? If you wear a necklace regularly, put it on your character, for example. Observe how you connect to him or her and see if that brings you closer into the scenes.

11. Giovannae

Giovannae New Member

I believe that it is ultimately up to you. It is your character and you, as a writer, should make the character so it is fun for you. Of course, there are many names to choose from. If you look carefully at the meanings, some of them might end up describing your character fairly well. But if you are content with your name and think it suits the character, I say go for it, especially if you are using a pen name. With the use of a pen name, no one will know the character is directly correlated to you.

Sure some might say it is narcissistics, but it is your story and while the name of a character is important it does not change your ability to write or the quality of the book, especially if the name suits the character. You said the character does not have the same personality as you, so it is not related to you, just your name.

The only concern I would have is that I would put myself in the characters place and she or he would become a Mary Sue. But if you can keep yourself from doing that, I do not see a problem.

Good luck.

12. GizmoEFG

GizmoEFG New Member

I personally could never do it. I've never been a huge fan of my name and it would just be weird for me. My writing is full of little parts of me anyway, I don't feel my name has to be front and center.

13. AnchoredAerial

AnchoredAerial New Member

In a complete side topic: What is the purpose of using a pen name?

To contribute to the topic: I could never use my name because I don't feel like I could be true to a character if it's me. I could use a nickname. However, I would absolutely do a families name! Kill of those family members I don't like!!!

14. CrossWiredGarden

CrossWiredGarden Member

In the novel I'm writing now, the main character is actually named after myself. After reading this, I'm kinda torn on if I should change it or not.
    On one hand, I really do like the name, I named him before I really thought about using the name as my pen/new name and the story really is based on a little journey I found myself going through in trying to find my self-confidence and all that.
    On the other hand however, I don't know if anyone else will find it annoying that the author would make themselves the main character.

15. JLT

JLT Contributor Contributor

Kinky Friedman has written an entire series of mysteries featuring the detective Kinky Friedman. So why not?

16. Unripe Plum

Unripe Plum Member

I'm currently writing a comedy in which the lead character is based on me, and the story comprises several incidents from my university days strung together on an entirely fictional overall story arc. I'm using my own name for the protagonist, and I'm also using the real names of other people (including some I've not met, like Tim Kaine) on whom I've based characters. This helps me to understand my characters, and pour authenticity and depth into my depiction of these people. I am, of course, going to change them all - even the place names - into fictional equivalents, because I don't want this to be confused for an autobiography or to offend the people I've mentioned.

17. Alastair James Cunningham

Alastair James Cunningham New Member

I have that same dilemma after my brother criticised my choice for naming my main character After me (First Name Only), as he said similar as Izzybot. But I feel that my name is uncommon, and after watching, reading, and playing enough media with the main character called bloody John, I feel a little justified to add a unique name. Not to mention it fits my Main Character's role in the story.

18. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

You may want to do the following:

a) have your author first name be your intial: "A. J. Cunningham" or "A. James Cunningham"
    b) have it be a nickname: "Al Cunningham" or "Al J. Cunningham"
    c) write under a pseudonym: "Albert Cunningham", Harvey Oh, Andrew Cuthbert, Monty Snippet

Or have your character actually be a fictionalized version yourself a la Lemony Snicket aka Daniel Handler.

For what it's worth, Alastair is a pretty good name.

19. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

We're also talking about using standard capitalization. So your first sentence would start:

To be perfectly honest I am a little lax on my punctuation in forums

It's very distracting to read a post that doesn't use these standards.

20. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

I just beta read a story where the author named a minor side character after herself. I found it really weird, and that was only a side character.

I also remember reading a book description which explained that the author initially published it under a pen name the same as the MC's name, because she thought it would be funny, but so many readers complained about it being an author insert (in reader speak, doubt they used that phrase) that she changed it.

So yeah, I think it's a bad idea.

21. JE Loddon

JE Loddon Active Member

If you're using a pen name, and therefore the reader won't realise, then why not. If the idea is that the main character wrote the book, then that would be tricky to pull off I think.

22. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

I've seen Alastair as the name of the Japanese inventor named Alistair Oh who invented the microwaveable burrito in The 39 Clues. I'm sure I've seen it in other books, but I can't think where. There's also Alastair Krei in the Disney film Big Hero 6.

23. Vrisnem

Vrisnem Member

I think it's kind of strange. Reads as wish fulfilment to me. I don't think I'd personally be able to separate myself from the character if I did that. Same with regards to reading a person's work: if I knew the author shared their name with a character (whether obvious or through internet searching) I'd find it difficult to separate the two and to take the character seriously.

I was once criticised for using an opposite gender variant of my legal name when I haven't even gone by said name since I was 18. Worse, I didn't even make the connection until someone pointed it out to me! :p I kept his name though: I'd already been calling him it for 5-6 months, and was halfway through book #2, before it was mentioned.

24. Centauri Rose

Centauri Rose New Member

I've done it a few times.

25. texshelters

texshelters Active Member

If the name fits, use it. If it doesn't fit, use it as a place holder. The name will come to you.

I use my name for a serial killer character, but my name is androgynous, and that's the point. It's a mystery, see? PTxS