1. Allan Adams

Allan Adams Member

Currently Reading::
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows

Naming the Monsters

Discussion in 'Research' started by Allan Adams, Mar 3, 2021.

Hey everyone, I'm a little stuck

Awhile back I attempted to write my own Zombie apocalypse style TV series and thanks to some of the reviews from members of the forum I decided that my approach was used and beaten to death if you will. So I've scrapped my original plan and have come up with something different. (For the record, I am very grateful for the honest feedback on my first concept, as I do intend to publish and i want something people will enjoy).

The creatures in this story are not Zombies but something completely different. They are infected by a virus that comes from space and arrives on earth in a meteorite. The virus causes the infected person to develop flu like symptoms or Covid like symptoms I guess now that is 2021.

After the sickness takes affect the human cells begin to mutate. The result is a living creature that operates like a zombie with the desire to hunt and eat. It has enhanced strength, runs on all fours, has sharp jagged teeth and jet black eyes. It can see in the dark and has an extremely high sense of smell. Its fast and able to climb. The creature can spread the infection like a zombie, by its saliva entering the blood stream of its victims. Here is the big difference, if the creature bites to feed, the virus is not spread because the victim is devoured, but if it bites to "procreate" if you will than the victim will mutate. The bite has a much shorter incubation than what comes out of the meteorite.

Oh did i mention that the meteorite that starts all this is only one of a thousand that are due to impact the earth. Yes, this is going to be an apocalyptic survival story only the creatures will no longer be zombies.

My question is, what the heck do i name these creatures. I want something that sounds like the name came from a scientist.

My plan for the story will unfold in Serial style. So the first half of season 1 will show the start of the infection. As the scientists try to piece together what the creature is an how to "cure" it. The creature will be contained in a lab for at least the first couple episodes before it breaks free.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

It might not matter what you call them. They still act like zombies. If it hunts, feeds, wanders about, bites and infects, it'll fit the zombie symbol in the reader's mind. And there's more than a few "zombie" stories that trace their origin to meteors and alien diseases.

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

The Devolved.

Allan Adams likes this.
  4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Brain Damaged?
    Neuronal Deficient?
    Brain Dead Cannibals?
    Cadavra Cannabalia?
    Caro Devoratrix (Flesh Devourer)?

Zombie is a scientific term for them too, so...if the shoe fits...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  5. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Didn't Lao Tzu say "A Zombie by any other name would smell as rank'?

Cave Troll likes this.