NaNoWriMo nano 2019

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by A.S.Ford, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

I'll join if there's room. Gonna be a different ride for me this time. - SomeGuy (SG)

(unless I have to set up a new acct each time...?)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Kinzvlle and A.S.Ford like this.
  2. noobieneiux

noobieneiux Banned

Camp NaNoWriMo[edit]
    A summer version of NaNoWriMo, called Camp NaNoWriMo, launched in 2011. Two sessions were held, one in July and one in August; however, the months were switched to June and August for Camp NaNoWriMo 2012. The two months were then switched to April and July for 2013 and 2014, and have stayed the same since. The rules used for the main event in November also applied to each Camp NaNoWriMo session.[37] The Camp NaNoWriMo website does not have forums, but participants may choose to join a group of up to 11 writers, called a cabin.[38][39] Each cabin has its own message board, visible only by members of that cabin. Camp NaNoWriMo participants may also choose their word count goal, similar to the Young Writers Program.[40]

jannert and Mr Novelist like this.
  3. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

No problem, will send you an invite now :)

4. Quixote's Biographer

Quixote's Biographer Active Member

I'm doing Camp this year (although I'm already in a cabin). This year my goal is simple; to write a minimum of 30 minutes per day. That's it. My hope is that by the end of April I will have established a new routine of writing everyday and hopefully I can keep it up beyond this month.

So far, so good, and on most days I've written much longer than just 30 minutes. Yesterday I spent a few hours finishing the first draft of a short story/novella I started on April 1st, so I'll be starting on the next one this afternoon :)

Kinzvlle, Dracon and Harmonices like this.
  5. Some Guy

Wow! :)

6. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

You know, that, is really clever! I like that plan. I always give myself silly big goals (with all sorts of things), start with gusto then run out of steam and end up slacking off to nada. There's never a day in my life where I can't wedge in thirty minutes tho'. Definitely stealing this.

7. Quixote's Biographer

I realised this after writing 140,000 during NaNo last year. I didn't write anything for over a month afterwards which seems like a bad side effect of a month focused on writing!

Feel free to join my challenge and keep me updated if you want :)

'Bernard' ended up at around 11,000 words and yesterday I started 'The Selfie'. Spent 30-60 minutes planning and researching the MC since it's about a 16 year old girl and... I'm not one. Then wrote for 30 minutes. Really enjoying the camp so far!

8. Quixote's Biographer

First draft of 'The Selfie' is... done, but kind of not? I really struggled through this one. Not with the word count (ended up with 6,300 words), but with the writing and the content.

I felt uninspired and never really got 'into' it, if that makes sense. Wrote the final few paragraphs today, came up with some new ideas and immediately decided to do a rewrite. I don't have an idea for my next short story yet anyway so might as well give this another go. I think the story could turn out fine but as of right now there's just a few ideas, lots of bad language and boring sentences and the whole thing is just... Bleh. Kind of like this post.

So, I'm gonna have a rethink and plot the story again now that I know it a little bit better and have another go.

How's everyone else doing so far?

Harmonices likes this.
  9. Mr Novelist

Mr Novelist Banned

I barely wrote anything today for my novel, things are moving slow though.

10. Some Guy

I'm stalled. I can't state clearly what my word count is specific to Camp. I did finally count up my notes, and it looks to be a little over 60k. I did work-in a new chapter at 11kw, and finish a few scenes. So net about 15k? I write by feel, following a rough timeline. I write scenes, then piece them together. It works great! The problem is the beginning. I have three beginnings, present, flashback, flashforward, that could also be scenes in the timeline. I can't decide cause they all sorta work, so it affects what I do next. :supercry:

Quixote's Biographer likes this.
  11. Quixote's Biographer

Not sure this belongs here or in the Not Happy thread (or both). After finishing the first draft of The Selfie on Saturday, I've really struggled to get started on anything else. I just seem to be all out of ideas - or at least any ideas I actually want to write - and I can't figure out how I want to rewrite The Selfie. Can't even come up with a better outline for it.

At least part of the reason I'm struggling (and this is the part that belongs in the Not Happy thread), is because I can't seem to get a good night's sleep and haven't in the last 2-3 weeks. This morning I woke up around 3 am and couldn't fall asleep again. Getting through work each day is hard enough and I have very little energy for writing anything at all.

Since I was up so early this morning I managed to get my half hour done and decided to write whatever came to mind. So now I have about 1,000 words about an 'I' person and an old man who's travelling over some fields to seek refuge in a mountain before their age of eternal sunlight ends, the age of endless night starts and the monsters of the night wakes from hibernation. And just to make it a lot more difficult to write any sense into this story, the old man constantly comes up with 'words of wisdom' which are mainly based on song titles by Enslaved. And I've stopped using any punctuation to mark dialogue (like in The Road) for no good reason.

Maybe I'm a writing genius when I'm sleep deprived but most likely not... o_O

Mr Novelist, marshipan and Some Guy like this.
  12. Mr Novelist

Mr Novelist Banned

Don't feel bad, we all have those days anyway, best to just keep writing.

13. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

Tomorrow's the last day! Anyone pushing for some high numbers? I'm close to my word count goal. Unfortunately midway through the month I decided to start from the beginning again. Which means my word goal success doesn't include an almost finished novel. Oh well. I'm happy to be writing.

Quixote's Biographer likes this.
  14. Quixote's Biographer

I managed 28 days in a row with writing at least 30 minutes, but didn't get one in yesterday due to a massive headache. Not sure I'll have the time to write today either but I'm gonna continue on with my half hour daily writing sessions anyways, starting May 1st, which was the whole point of this exercise anyway :)

15. Vrisnem

Vrisnem Member

I had to give up about a week in after injuries to both wrists. It was too painful to write on top of exam prep. Someone in the cabin suggested that I try dictation software but it unfortunately did not like my accent. That week was the most consistent I've been in my writing in a long time - wish I could have stuck with it. But exams are over now so I should be able to start writing again (even if it does have to be at a slower pace than before). :)

16. unencumbered

unencumbered New Member

This year wont be the first year I've completed nanowrimo's novel writing challenge, but since I lost my previous account details, I have had to start a new account. Yes, I'm confident I'll complete it this year.

I'm just wondering whether any of you would like to connect with yours-truly for the write-off... I mean on the nano site, as well as on writingforums.org; as this is the first year in many years that I'll be doing the challenge, and it would be nice to have a somewhat more personable experience this time 'round.

I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to write this year, although I have some ideas I'd like to incorporate. I'm thinking zombie apocalypse, with some themes I've been working with, however, I'm not set on the zombie-apocalypse as yet. I'm thinking about drama/thriller however, with some dark humor and stereotypical satire.

inbox me for my nano....org username, if you're interested in connecting for next months write-off.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  17. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I think I'll be participating this year. I have a story I've been bouncing around for a while now that I would like to get on paper.

18. unencumbered

unencumbered New Member

EFMingo
    I'd love to hear about your story idea(s), I've come up with some interesting plot points and whatnot myself. I'm pretty excited about getting into the writing spirit over the course of the next couple of months.

Let me know if you want to connect with me for nano challenges.

Kinzvlle likes this.
  19. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I somewhat do because I want the writing program discounts for next year.

20. unencumbered

unencumbered New Member

I just subscribed to Grammarly (about a week ago) and have been enjoying some interesting text messaging, and learning a bit about comma placement to boot.

EFMingo, which writing program discount are you talking about? Is it a subscription discount of some sort?

Kinzvlle likes this.
  21. unencumbered

unencumbered New Member

Hey!
    Any chance I could get an invite to the cabin on Nano aswell? I'm unencumbered there, too :)
    Either way, thanks for sharing the cabin here.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  22. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Basically the point is to write 50,0oo words in November?

Does this mean we have to start something new or continue with what we’re doing?

Either way it’s about time I knuckled down and do something like this - I cannot imagine it is difficult to do? We’ll see ...

Kinzvlle likes this.
  23. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023 Community Volunteer

Diddling around with the thought of this... If I participate this year, it will be to write the second half of the novel I got almost halfway through writing for NaNo last year.

Kinzvlle and GingerCoffee like this.
  24. Quixote's Biographer

Anyone in here feel free to add me as buddy (same name on NaNo as here, shouldn't be too difficult to find).

A few of my local WriMo friends and I are going for 200,000 words this year, but I think I'm going to be quite busy outside NaNo this year, so I'll be happy with 50K and something fun to continue working on in December and beyond.

I'm a planner and have gone from having only a vague image in my head to almost a complete story in about a week. Now I'm working on the outline and I hope by Nov 1st to have all 80 scenes planned and in order. Maybe it'll leave me some time to consider stuff like voice, setting, pacing etc for each scene as well...

Let me know if you wanna prep together. I'm writing (dark) fantasy this year.

25. Quixote's Biographer

The idea is to write 50K on a new story in November (1,667 words a day) and hopefully have a completed first draft. If you do a rewrite, continue on an existing story etc you're a NaNo rebel, which just means you're doing something else that is perfectly fine in November :) It's YOUR NaNo after all, so do your own thing :)