nano 2019

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by unencumbered, Oct 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Quixote's Biographer

Quixote's Biographer Active Member

Another tip on how to use NaNo if you're not going for 50K, if you're working on the same thing you worked on before November, if you just want to get into the habit of writing every day or if you're not writing at all but outlining or doing research etc; the NaNo forums fill up with thousands of people with the 'in this together' mentality and you can get a ton of help for whatever you're doing.

It turns into a ghost town in December though...

jannert likes this.
  2. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer

How is everyone doing?

I'm producing the word count all right, but something's happened that will cause extra work when it comes to validation time at the end of the month.

I think I mentioned that my new words so far consist of scenes I'm inserting into last year's NaNo project (yeah, I intend to get to Part 2 of the story this month. Give me time). I'm keeping track of my total word count at the start and end of each day's writing, and noting down the number of words I put out at each session of the day.

The new portions I do in redline. When I've hit the day's word count goal, or, more often, before I start writing the next morning, I copy and paste the new words into a separate NaNo Novel document. Then I change those same new words in my main file to blue. That way I can tell what I've added and keep track of what I've copied over for validation.

This was working fine until a couple days ago, when I got lazy and didn't copy the new stuff into the NaNo file until after I'd added more new stuff, and somehow I lost track and--- And now I'm missing a good chunk of what I should have in what is supposed to be my validation file.

Everything else tracks. Beginning total word count, end total word count, what I've entered on the NaNo site: it all tallies. It just won't validate at the end of November.

I know how to come up with the missing verbiage (won't bore you with the process), but it will be tedious and will take awhile. All the better reason to finish my 50,000 words early and have time to take care of it.

EDIT: I think I've identified the problem: a program or computer crash before I had the chance to save the latest additions. Just came up with a backup file that's only 587 words short, instead of over a thousand.

This will get frizzy by the end.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    jannert likes this.
  3. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

Total word count is zero :)

Foxxx likes this.
  4. Quixote's Biographer

Reached 50K on Wednesday night, and apart from one scene I wasn't happy with and will go back and change the outline for later, I'm done with act 1 and I've started act 2. I'm on schedule for 200K (which is this year's challenge) :)

Edward M. Grant likes this.
  5. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Grr. I'm at 11,000 words, which isn't bad, except that those words are the sum total of about five attempts at the beginning of my story. I'm having a really hard time deciding where to begin this time. At this rate, I'll wind up with 50,000 words at the end of the month, all together consisting of a batch of attempts to write Scene One.

Ah, happy days. Hmph.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  6. Edward M. Grant

Edward M. Grant Contributor Contributor

You can always turn each of them into a different story :).

Broke 12,000 last night. I'm still trying to get back to being a day ahead of schedule.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  7. Catrin Lewis

Humorist!

8. Catrin Lewis

Believe me, I know.

You can only hope that among all those attempts is that one, magnificent, revelatory scene that makes you go "Aha! That's it!!!"

Meanwhile, the strikeover tool is your friend.

9. badgerjelly

I wasn’t being funny. My aim is 50,ooo and I’m still at zero. 20 days to go so going to have to write in large chunks whether I like it or not.

10. EFMingo

EFMingo A Nefarious Flamingo Contributor

I'm in the same boat. Way behind and need to really pick up quick to have even a chance to make it.

11. badgerjelly

Still gotta bash out the thing for collaboration too. Bit backlogged after holiday and some unexpected annoyances, but I should be on track by the end of the week (if not before).

I imagine I’m going to right something for thsi NaNo thing that’s gonna flit between stream of conscious writing and end up resembling a weird kind of epic tale that will be abstract and probably almost entirely incomprehensible to anyone but myself. The aim is merely to get a large body of writing down first and foremost.

minstrel and EFMingo like this.
  12. Catrin Lewis

Yeah. Read my comment as bitter irony. And here's to the Large Chunks getting written.

13. Catrin Lewis

I have a lot of places where I've put "[this is lame]," just like that, in brackets. It frees me up to get whatever the thing is down as a plot/character/setting development point and not worry for the moment about the prose.

Quixote's Biographer likes this.
  14. Quixote's Biographer

Good idea. There's going to be a second draft/rewrite (I hope) so not getting stuck or stopping completely because I don't like the last paragraph I wrote is a good thing.

I got a 50 minute writing session in before work and hit 90K. I've given up on catching up with my 'Team 200K' buddies at this stage and I'm only focused on myself. Need 100K by the end of Thursday to stay on schedule.

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  15. Catrin Lewis

I still haven't figured out how to catch up with buddies on the NNWM site. I click on people's names on my list and check what their word count is, but I don't consider that support or catching up, really, for them or for me.

16. Quixote's Biographer

:(
    My two Team 200K buddies are part of my regular writing group where I live and we stay in touch during NaNo on a discord server with all the other Norwegians doing NaNo. And we have an open spreadsheet where every Norwegian who wants to partake can post their word count each day to see who writes the most in Norway. I won last year, but this year I'm too far behind.

But no matter, I'm going to focus on finishing the first draft first of all, something I've never done with a novel before, and not worry too much about word count since I'm past 50K anyway.

Edit: hurt my hand at work and now 200K looks impossible... :(

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019 at 2:32 PM
    Catrin Lewis likes this.
  17. Catrin Lewis

The Like isn't for you hurting your hand, it's for the explanation. Take care of it. I'd suggest dictation software, but it's not a mend-all. I can never get it to work.

I passed the halfway mark today, and if I keep up the pace I'll finish the 50,000 by the 26th. Good stuff, as then I can play around on (American) Thanksgiving with a good conscience. I don't dare stop with that word count, though. I'm two weeks in and I'm still adding and restoring scenes in Part 1. Yikes! If my goal is to come out of this with a completed draft, I have to keep going till I write The End.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019 at 4:23 AM
    Quixote's Biographer and EFMingo like this.
  18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Staff Supporter Contributor

Two weeks in and I've given up on Scene One. I have about seven versions of it now and I'm not happy with any of them. On to Scene Two! I'll give it a try or two, and if I can't get it right, then it's time to write a scene with Luke Skywalker versus Thanos. In a pillow fight. Gandalf arrives to save the day, but is incapacitated by a sudden head cold, so Chuck Norris saves the day. Scene Three will consist of thirty thousand words of sheer desperation. I'm thinking Iron Chef America judged by Winnie the Pooh, Aquaman, and Stimpy.

Quixote's Biographer and EFMingo like this.
  19. big soft moose

big soft moose The Moderating Moose Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I'm not actually signed up to nano but by chance i started my latest project on nov 1 - i'm currently at 25k and change

20. Catrin Lewis

That sounds about right.

21. Quixote's Biographer

Halfway to 50K is awesome! If you by 'adding and restoring' mean editing, that's not. No editing allowed in November! ;)

Keep going! You're doing great!

Catrin Lewis likes this.
  22. Catrin Lewis

Re: the restoring part: I'm doing the NaNo Rebel thing and working to finish the novel I started for NaNoWriMo last year. But I suffered a computer glitch and sometime between January and May I lost the final version I won with on 11/30/18. Latest I had was from 11/28/18, and it was 6,500 words shorter. Thus the need to rewrite the missing chapters before I go on to Part 2.

Moral of the story? Back up your NNWM file, and not just to the cloud.

The added scenes are new ones I've just thought of that need to be in Part 1, so the rest of the novel makes sense.

And you know, it just hit me that maybe I could have continued with the same project from last year, instead of making a new one and calling it Strong as Death, Part 2. Because I haven't touched Part 2 so far at all.

Too late now.

Anyway, I'm up to 28,123 words as of 11:58 PM on Friday. Produced 1,300 new words yesterday. Not bad, considering I was out working pretty much all day and couldn't sit down to write till 10:20 PM.

Quixote's Biographer likes this.