Tags:
  1. First Time Writer

First Time Writer New Member

NaNoWriMo Nano2013

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by First Time Writer, Mar 27, 2013.

Hi everyone!

I'm Matt and I'm about to attempt my first serious effort at writing something of real length during Camp NaNoWriMo which runs through April. Has anybody else had experience with NaNoWriMo and have any advice or tips? Or just anyone have any tips for a first time writer about to commit a serious chunk of time each day over the next month or so to writing?

In terms of planning I've decided not to do an extensive plan, rather plan in sprint style by reviewing what I've written at the end of the day and planning the next days writing. I have hit a bit of a snag though, I had my idea of what I wanted to write decided in my head and was more than happy with it - but the other day I was struck by an idea that I think may be better, although it would provide more extensive planning. Should I ditch the old idea and work with the new one, or leave the new one until I have more planning time? I do want to write both, I just don't know which first! I'd really appreciate some advice :)

I've gone into it in a bit more detail on my blog over at www.firsttimewriter.co.uk - feel free to check it out!

Thanks

Matt

2. Thornesque

Thornesque Senior Member

As far as NaNoWriMo itself? My advice is to never stop just because you hit your word count for the day. There's going to be a day when you just can't seem to get the words out, hard as you try, and when that day comes, you're going to be glad that you didn't stop at 3,400 words and instead went on to 4 or 5K.

DO NOT REVIEW YOUR WRITING! Don't even re-read anything. Keep in mind that the point of NaNoWriMo is not to turn out a perfect or even decent novel. The point of NaNoWriMo is to give you a huge chunk of writing that you're going to have to edit the living cripe out of to even make presentable to the world at large. So don't even bother going back and looking. It's a waste of your time, given the purpose of the program.

As far as your plot...once again, we're considering NaNoWriMo here. So if you think you can get more out with the planned novel, do that. If you think you can write more with the unplanned novel, then write that. That's my advice.

1 person likes this.
  3. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

What Thornesque said.

I did a NaNoWriMo in 11/2008 (50000+words.) The object was a word count - not specifically a novel/novelette/whatever - a challenge to get 50000 words on to paper. How you do it is up to you. If you have an idea and it can flow, get it down. If not, write anything.

Nobody is going to read your submission but you.

I remember writing a few pages and then getting stuck. Answer? I wrote some alternative scenarios involving the MC. Just get words on paper.

4. The Bee

The Bee New Member

Hey Matt!

I'm really glad to see another newcomer to NaNo. I've been doing NaNoWriMo since 2008, and I love every minute of it. Last year was my most successful year yet. I've yet to finish during a Camp session, but we'll see if maybe I can manage it this year. :)

Plot wise, go with your gut. Choose one that you'll have fun writing, and don't worry about the rest. I've planned extensively, and I've not. I found the best balance for me, and you will too. Another good thing to do is definitely not look over your writing after you're done - your inner editor will jump out and make you doubt yourself if you do. You'll ask yourself why this and that sound so terrible, and in general have issues continuing. Trust me on that one. Editing is for after! ;)

Another good idea is to find people you can talk to on a regular basis who are doing it as well. Cabin mates, the forums, friends, etc. Find people who will push you and want to be pushed to accomplish your goal.

Oh, and one last thing - find people who are doing "word wars" and "sprints". If you don't know what these are, look them up on the forums. It's amazing how many words you can write when you're "warring" against somebody else. Is the actual material you produce beautiful prose? Well, probably not, but it does help you get the words you want out onto paper. ;)

I'm right there with you this year, so if you ever need someone to chat with just shoot me a message on the Camp NaNo website (brookew86). Maybe we can help each other. :)

5. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

I wrote my whole first draft Nov before last during the NaNoWriMo challenge. A couple false starts and then, bang, I wrote 45,000 words in the last week in November. At that point, NaNoWriMo faded into the background. I had 134,000 words and the full draft of a duology by the end of Dec. I've been working on book one since then, I'm very happy with the progress, lots of changes, lots of skills to acquire. The pace has been satisfying and I'm still in love with my story.

Last Halloween I went to a local NaNoWriMo event to celebrate. Wow there are so many would-be writers out there. But I refuse to let it discourage me. I had a good time but at midnight people just started cranking out words and within minutes people were calling out they'd gotten to 1,000. Little prizes were handed out. That was my cue to leave. I'm not a group writer. I don't need to be with a group of people who are also writing to write. Guess it works for some people.

I remain forever grateful for the NaNoWriMo challenge and may even mention the group in my novel's dedication.

6. lettuce head

lettuce head Active Member

You guys make me want to try NaNoWriMo for myself.

7. The Bee

The Bee New Member

GingerCoffee - Not everyone is meant to write in a group. I pretty much did virtual write-ins due to being out in the countryside, and with a toddler. I just couldn't be bothered to get out, but I kept in touch by other means.

lettuce head - Please try it out! It can be really fun.

8. hughesj

hughesj New Member

So this is my second year doing NaNoWriMo. I am doing the proper one for the first time. (Last time I did the YWP so i could pick my word count goals) I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how I can keep on track.

I have an outline for the novel I want to write but people often say that you don't have to stick to your plan if you have other ideas. I think this may be problematic if you go off in one direction then get stuck? Is it better to maybe just stick to your plan so you can finish NaNo and then go back and change it later?

Are there any other tips you guys have?

9. TessaT

TessaT Senior Member

50,000 divided by 30 is roughly 1667. That's the daily minimum amount that you need to write to reach your goal. I used Scrivener, which has a word count function, but most writing programs do. Turn on the word count and just keep track of where you're at.
    I, personally, made the 50,000 words but I lost without a plot in the middle of my story. So, while it was somewhat successful, it was also a failure. I would suggest that if you feel the need to change something that you have planned, make sure you plan it out the rest of the way with the new plot. It really does depend on your writing style though.

Good luck!

10. graphospasm

graphospasm Member

During NaNo I plan my principle novel as well as a handful of short-short or short stories (3-5 depending on combined length). When I get stuck on my novel I hop over to one of my shorts and flex my writing muscles in that context. Usually the act of writing something else, something more condense and straightforward, helps illuminate the problems I'm having with my novel.

11. GHarrison

GHarrison Member

Last time I had two related storylines going, so as I was writing and making up the first as I went, I'd be thinking of how the other was going to catch up and be relevant. When the first story line got to a comfortable resting place, I'd make a new chapter and hop to the other story line. That technique really helped me flood that doc with words. And it was fun to think about how the story would come together at the end all the while. Hope this helps.

12. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

I've decided to open up this forum for NaNoWriMo discussion and accountability. I'll keep it up through November and part of December then probably remove it again till next year.

13. Gilborn

Gilborn Member

I would use a writing program that displays your word count as suggested. I really like Q10, its a free program that turns your entire screen into a word document. It also blocks out most other program notifications. Last year I did well exceed the 50,000 words they just didn't happen in the novel I had planed to write, which was partially due to inspiration for another story, but mostly a lack of planing. This year I'm working on a nice plot line chart so I know exactly what to write for each chapter and can get the words down asap. This is an unusual way for me to write, but it will be fun trying a new technique. Also, make your daily word count goal 2,500. While this can be daunting on difficult days, it will pay off towards the end. During the last week you'll have the time to elaborate in areas you feel need it and cut in places you don't like.

Best of luck.

14. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

I think it would be wise to stick to the outline if you have one, because as you say, you can always change it later. (in revision) My advice (from my own experience) is don't look back at what you've written until it's all ready and done. Try not to even think too much about how the story is coming out on the paper but just write on. you can evaluate it later. the important is reaching those 50K. And if you feel some days that you can write more than the 1667 words, by all means do so, because it's a good feeling being ahead of the wordcount and it gives you even more energy the days when it feels harder to reach those 1667 words. BUT try not to skip days thinking "I'll compensate for that by writing the double amount the next day", because that is usually harder than one think.
    That is all I can come up with right now. I'm going to participate this year too, by the way!

15. ChaosReigns

ChaosReigns Ov The Left Hand Path Contributor

id suggest trying to write some parts of the story early if you feel that you are going to drift off course, that way you can get a feel for it and if you find that you do drift off this early on, plan several outcomes and hope for the best

16. GHarrison

GHarrison Member

Oh, also, don't edit during November. Just write. Editing takes time and can reduce the word count which goes against the point of it all. Save editing for December :b

Gilborn likes this.
  17. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

I second this. I'm one of those people who partially edit as I go, but NaNo? I never edit. Just write. It can be hard, but your future self will thank you tremendously.

I suppose my piece of advice is go where the book (and most importantly, characters) takes you. It's all well and good having a rigid plot and story in your head, but loosen up a little when writing; I found it helped mine a lot. :)

18. tupbup

tupbup Member

I would say having a rough outline of what you want to write will always be a helpful tool, especially when you are writing such a long piece. Going off on tangents when you have other ideas should help you with your story more so than get you stuck. And if you do manage to find your characters in a place you can't get them out of or in a position that completely ruins your plot, stop. Start a new chapter or a new paragraph - suspend disbelief for a moment and drop them exactly where you need them to be in order to carry on writing. 30 days will soon fly by with only limited time to get the word count down. You can always go back and fill in the holes or rejig the scenes for the whole to make sense again. This might not be the best method for beating Nano but trust me, trying to replot half way through the month is hard. You end up wanting to rewrite what you have written already and spending time plotting instead of writing is a great way to get behind on your word count.

It comes down to what you want out of Nano. If your main aim is to get down the 50k words my above idea might help you. If you want to write something you can work with afterwards you might need to think of something else.

Good luck!

19. Gilborn

Gilborn Member

This is exactly why I was advising you aim for 2500 words a day. That way if you can finish early you can then edit to some degree during November. However, the word count is the point and editing over the holiday break is always nice.

20. hughesj

hughesj New Member

wow, thanks for all the responses guys,
    i especially like the one of just skipping difficult bits and filling them in later

21. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Edit: For some reason the forum does not display the text I've written underneath the quote (after the delimiter line)... D:<

I have never done a NaNoWriMo myself (I didn't even know what it was until I found this thread), but here's what I think (and others have already suggested):
    - Aim towards always writing at least the 1667 words, but the more you write on one day the better. Some days will be tougher than others and it will be easy to come under stress should you one day not get more than a few hundred words down. If you've already compensated for this more than once it will make it easier to take to drawback.
    - Use a word editor that works for you, though it should have a word counter. Note though that some people can't relax properly when they have the word count visible (easy to think negative things like "I've written for an hour and only got 200 words down, I'll never make this"). Try to find which way fits you the best.
    - Don't over think things. It is easy to get stuck if you need everything you do to fit perfectly into your planned storyline. You can always come back later and trim the edges, after the month have ended.

Never heard about that one before. Took a quick look at it, and it might just be the perfect program for me to use in school! (Since I can't use Scriven-er on my school laptop. Q10 is both small in size and 100% portable!)

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  22. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

I'm gonna be getting together at a local library this Tuesday with my fellow NaNoWriMo writers! I've never really met any other local writers in real life ad none of my friends write so I am super-stoked!

We are going to discuss our plans and tactics for this years novels!

23. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

In this neck of the woods, NaNoWriMo meets at a nearby Denny's on Halloween night to celebrate the kick off. Is there nothing like it in your neighborhood?

24. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Definitely not in mine. Sadness engulfs my little blood pump like a hungry amoeba. :(

123456789 likes this.
  25. JJ_Maxx

JJ_Maxx Banned

Maybe, but she hasn't posted it yet. I guess we haven't had a liaison in a few years. Still, she's already planned a few meetings so it's something!