1. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

NaNoWriMo Nanowrimo 2016

Discussion in 'NaNoWriMo' started by A.S.Ford, Feb 25, 2016.

Is anyone else thinking about taking part in this April's Camp NaNoWriMo? If so, what projects and word counts do you have planned? :)

I will be using the opportunity to complete my Dissertation, as well two assignments I have for my Fictionalising the Recent Past and also my Poetry classes ... I know NaNoWriMo and the Camps are usually meant for novel (etc.) related projects but all 3 of my stated assignments are creative pieces (stories and poetry - along with a short essay on each to describe my creative processes) so I think it still counts, haha. Besides, I can always concentrate on my novel ideas in the July Camp :)

My word count, therefore, for April's Camp is 15,500.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  2. DeadMoon

DeadMoon The light side of the dark side Contributor

I am skipping the Camp but will go for the NaNoWriMo in November.

A.S.Ford likes this.
  3. Kinzvlle

Kinzvlle At the bottom of a pit Contributor

I may partake in the camp next month not sure yet. Aa for the project I`ll probably work on my main story project that I have atm. Unsure on the word count.

4. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

That's cool :) I guess it depends on personal preference and time available, haha. I usually go for the Camps as they are held towards/at the end of my academic year at university so I have a lot less assignments, classes, etc. to worry about then than I do in November (which is 3 months into the beginning of my academic year)

5. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Fair enough, I'm taking part in the next Camp (which is held in July) as well so perhaps I will see you there :)

6. Indarican

Indarican Member

I will be joining the camp, I have set my word count at 80000 words so about 2667 words a day, that sounds simple enough but am sure that when the time comes It'll be harder to do.

7. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

That's awesome :) haha, yeah, I can imagine it might be somewhat difficult but I'm sure you will do well. Good luck!

8. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

I'm participating in camp for the first time, since my work finally allows it and I'm no longer in school.

I am trying to aim for 50k, but if that doesn't happen, it's okay. I'm working on a short story compilation.

9. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

I only started participating in the Camps a year or two ago and it can be difficult at times to work on a project while having to attend classes and complete homework so it's a good thing you won't have those in your way :) (unfortunately I can't say the same as my University doesn't break up for Summer until May and my Easter Holiday will be over before Aprils begins). 50k is an admirable word count, but it is good to have a backup plan, haha. Good luck!

10. Kinzvlle

Not really sure where to sent my word count at for the camp. I don`t want to set it so high it`s unrealistic.

11. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

That is entirely you up to you and how much you think you could write per day or week. For example, my goal of 15,500 requires me to write 517 words a day, whereas my word count goal last year of 80,000 words required I write 2,667 words a day, and a 60,000 word count goal requires 2,000 words a day. So if you think you could only manage around 500 words a day then perhaps go for a goal of 20,000 words or less but if you think you could achieve 1,000 - 2,000 words a day then you could set the bar quite high for yourself :)

BoddaGetta likes this.
  12. BoddaGetta

BoddaGetta Active Member

That is how my university was as well, we got out for summer around May. Spring Break seems to get earlier and earlier every year! I used to go in April, but now I hear about students going in the first week of March. Holy cow! I mean, it's snowing right now where I am lol. Quite heavily too.

I could never win NaNo in November, because for one week out of the month I had to travel for hours to see family for Thanksgiving, and my surroundings were too active to write while with family. After Turkey Day, I was part of a marching band, so I had do pack it all up and go to football games, which took even more time.

Then when it was all said and done, finals were just around the corner, and due to the holidays I always needed to catch up on studies.

So I'm hoping to get 50k and finally win! Done with school [finally], so it's just work that gets in the way now.

13. Kinzvlle

Set my goal at a rather small 1,000. 33 words a day to complete that according to the stats page. Seems small compared to other goals I`m seeing but it`s more feasible for me to work 33 words a day around my schedule then some high number and it`s a short story and 1,000 is a good minimum for them from what I've read. If I happen to go over 33 a day or the goal that`ll be great. Maybe if I get through this camp in one piece I'll have the confidence to set it at a higher pace but this is me dipping my toes in the water.

A.S.Ford likes this.
  14. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Yeah, University definitely keeps you busy, haha. I could never win NaNo in November either as my first semester is September - December so I am always kept busy by assignments. I might be taking a Masters degree which will give me even less free time to write next year but I shall see how it goes. I hope your freedom serves you well in this upcoming Camp though :)

BoddaGetta likes this.
  15. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

This sounds like a good plan and I wish you all the best! :)

16. Love_Aud

Love_Aud New Member

I will be doing Camp NaNoWriMo. I need some practice and just need some writing time in my life :). My username for NaNo is the same as on here if you'd like to add me! I am excited to start writing again. I recently moved and it's been more then taxing.

A.S.Ford likes this.
  17. Indarican

Indarican Member

My username is also the same as on here! Add Me if you want!

Love_Aud likes this.
  18. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Unfortunately, I have already made my cabin for April's Camp public (did this last week) so I can no longer invite people into this particular cabin :( . However, I have added you both as 'Writing Buddies' on the NaNoWriMo page and would love to have you join my cabin in the July Camp if you are attending the event :)

(This offer extends to anyone else here that will be taking part in the July Camp)

Love_Aud likes this.
  19. datahound2u

datahound2u Member

@A.S.Ford, you seem to be a veteran of Camp NaNoWriMo, so I just added you as my first Writing Buddy. My name on the site is Clueless Gent. This is my first experience with NaNoWriMo, and I'm going for the standard 50K while attempting my first novel.

Lifeline, Love_Aud and A.S.Ford like this.
  20. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Thanks :) but I wouldn't say I was a veteran, haha, more enthusiastic. I hope you find the Camps and NaNoWriMo to your liking, and good luck!

Kinzvlle, Love_Aud and datahound2u like this.
  21. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Cabin 'assignments' in 12 hours! Who else is excited to find out who they will be 'bunking' up with over April's Camp? :D

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    datahound2u, Kinzvlle and Love_Aud like this.
  22. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

How is everyone's cabin?

My cabin members have similar word counts to mine - the highest being 25,000 and the lowest being 10,000 - which is really awesome as it is nice to be surrounded by people with similar word count goals. However, I was a little disappointed that the cabin was less diverse (in terms of gender) than it has been in previous years.

Oh well, only 7 more days (or 6 for those who will be starting at midnight on 31st March) until the writing begins. Can't wait! :D

23. Love_Aud

Love_Aud New Member

My cabin mates all have a word count of 50k (same as mine) and mine seems very diverse in terms of gender. With my experience with Camp NaNo I haven't had very diverse groups. It's always been lots of women and hardly any men. I can't wait to write this April, though I still really don't know what I'm writing.

24. A.S.Ford

A.S.Ford Active Member

Sounds like a good cabin :) My experience has always been quite diverse cabins but not so much this year but it doesn't matter too much, haha, just surprised me. I know, the days keep getting closer and I keep getting more excited! It will probably come to you when you least expect it :)

Love_Aud likes this.
  25. Love_Aud

Love_Aud New Member

That is always how it happens. It always comes to me like an hour before midnight or like the first day. Weird how things work out lol

A.S.Ford likes this.