Tags:
  1. Bobby Burrows

Bobby Burrows Banned Contributor

Poetic License

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Bobby Burrows, Nov 6, 2018.

I'm writing a 17th century Puritan life on the lamb from a witch hunt of the falsely accused recanting the story of how her mother (a good witch) was tried and burnt at the stake for being a witch.
    Now... My demographic is going to be that 11 - 13 year old market, old enough to follow a story, not old enough for my politics, just general stories of outcasts being good or whatever, it's basically a young Latino woman who the White Puritans think is a witch, because she's an outsider (not because of the colour of her skin), but because she's an outsider, who doesn't really believe in what these good Puritans are saying, but is a well natured and good person and uses them to blend in with since it means leaving a big busy city that has people prying and persecuting everywhere (just a shout out to my hometown).
    I digress, my character Jessica could be Iranian for all I care, but, she's good natured and sticks out in Puritan life lmao. And, she's going to be seen as a witch because of her super abilities that gets revealed in part two, her story.
    Part one, however, she's 'a witch' and it's the 17th century, and, I'm trying to get away with poetic license to say 'it's a children's story, I don't want to alienate my readers'... so I'm having fun with things like 'year of our lord' and thy and IDK, 1600's Puritans Massachusetts Bay Colony; I tried to tell that in my introduction by saying
    "I am Goody Dower"..
    A term which, since mine's a mother / daughter heroine story, I've had the daughter on the lamb use it in my intro, and I've had the mother character adopt the name from the daughter's real birth mother (who died during childbirth and Jessica couldn't safe her) when blending in, so this mother character with the super abilities who looks different culturally, can still use her abilities to blend in, and, seek references on how to blend in and she observes, and introduces herself as Goody Dower when Rose is a baby to well natured Puritan mother called Goody Adam 'for quickness/explain to my reader what Goody was real quick'.

I've had one Rose Dower say "I'm Goody Dower"
    And one Jessica ? go by "Goody Dower" to blend in and take the dead mother's family name for the baby/Rose Dower.
    I think Jessica Gonzalez or Jessica Hosang and have her being part Chinese, and we could have her like the only Hosang I ever knew who was half white and half black with a half black and half Chinese stepfather from Jamaica, Hosang's one Chinese name in my own life I've seen the melting pot play around with, so, to be honest, writer to writer, Jessica Hosang will be because I cannot in good conscience call her Jessica Haung, but, I'm not against Constance Wu playing Jessica, even if I'm writing her with an Latino name atm, I might just be open minded enough to have fun with my story and have my Jessica be like a real life experience and, use a Chinese name and not cast a Chinese girl, or, if I got Constance Wu, be so proud of myself for having written something that Constance Wu is in, and write her however she wants to play my Heroine lol. But, yeah, Jessica Gonzalez reminds me of Jessica Huang, and, is an ode to a charming girl with a cool name in college.
    I digress - but I'm trying to justify my poor 17th century jargon for 'the children' who I'm writing this children's story for.
    I want this to be big, so, I'm trying to get ratings.
    Like, after school ratings lmao, the family, all of them, RATINGS.

IDK how to aim for an Oscar, but I'd do the next best thing, aim for an Emmy.

I can get my head around writing television, but, movie scripts, not yet.

That said....

Maybe I do?

I'm still eager to see my idea do well on the small screen, and if we ever get to write a movie out of it, I'd try and get Constance Wu a big screen job, and I'd help out another actress to get to TV.
    (I can dream).

I can already picture two Jessicas, one for the TV one for the film, and the only difference is a heritage, and that's only because I like one actress who's on TV and would love to see play my character and I want to help her get paid big blockbuster money. :) So... I'm writing this story with her in mind for the movie looking to keep it good for children's TV and or family market.

I fear short story long explaining all of this, but, long story short..
    It's a two parter time travel story of Heroines and an interracial mother daughter bond and adopted families and play off as a Halloween story around witches and fear and paranoia and persecution and have a big pay off of Sci-Fi modern, scientific, role model type stuff ... yeah.
    So, Jessica's going to be from our future, living somewhere in the occident/anglosphere.

I'd work out what she was doing in 1677 London in part two.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018