1. _booklovr_

_booklovr_ New Member

Character name

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by _booklovr_, Dec 6, 2006.

Ok, I'm writing a story and I was going to have Anthony be my main character's first name, but I'm not quite sure about his last. I'm sort of stuck between two choices: Anthony Sheldon or Anthony Brockhart. Tell me which one is your favorite, or whether you don't like those two options at all.

2. Sapphire

Sapphire New Member

Brockhart kind of fits together a little better than Sheldon in my opinion.

3. Mr Steve

Mr Steve New Member

Brockheart comes across as a very powerful name in my opinion so depended on the type of story you are writing I think that would be the better choice :)

4. ariella

ariella New Member

in a home full of wonderful and loving people I ca
    I'd definately go with Anthony Brockhart, I dunno just sounds good.

5. _booklovr_

_booklovr_ New Member

Thanks you guys! That's what I was leaning towards too. I just wanted to see what other people may think.:)

6. _booklovr_

_booklovr_ New Member

Oh, and btw, I am a HUGE Eragon fan too! I LOVE Eragon!!!!!!! I can't wait until the movie comes out.

7. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

sorry, but it sounds cheesy to me... too much like romance novel schlock... but, if that's what you're going for.......

as someone above noted, it depends on what it is you're writing... as well as who you're writing it for... you also need to consider your character's back story... where is he from?... what is his ethnic/national background?... what kind of names do people have where he comes from?... and so on...

8. _booklovr_

_booklovr_ New Member

Actually, I was not intending for this to be a romance novel, more like a futuristic or science fiction-type novel. And if it's cheesy, that's just because I'm terrible at coming up with names, whether it's first or last.
    Would you care to give your input on what a really good last name might be??:confused: That is, if you'd like to. Because I'm kind of confused right now, in case you couldn't tell.

9. Mr Steve

Mr Steve New Member

I think the name Brockheart would be good for a sci-fi story. There is just something about it that screams adventure to me. :)

10. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

without knowing anything about this character and his background, i wouldn't presume to say what would or would not be a good surname for him... if he's to be a white bread-blah, english-descended bloke, then brockhurst would be a lot less cheesy than brockheart, imo...

but if you're going to give him a more exotic and reader-intriguing provenance, then all doors are open... perhaps devlin or o'hearne for irish, novato or santiago for a latin lover type, zakynthos if greek, rostov if russian, runningdeer if of american indian background, and so on...

11. zerobytes

zerobytes New Member

what she said

12. _booklovr_

_booklovr_ New Member

Great. Thanks everyone (especially mammamaia) for your help. It is greatly appreciated.:D