Tags:
  1. Pooka

Pooka New Member

Characters [Discussion]

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Pooka, Oct 17, 2006.

I read this in an interview Ray Bradbury gave:

[Paraphrased] "I never plot my stories. I let my characters write through me. You don't write your characters - your characters write YOU."

Does this approach to writing strike anyone as odd? I cannot fathom how he gets done writing without ever plotting (I doubt he never plots though), but yet, he's written over 500 timeless literature pieces.

All I can say is, WOW.

Thoughts?

x

2. Peter

Peter New Member

Both Raymond Carver and Francis O'Connor wrote in a similar way to this. I haven't read much O'Connor, but I think Carver's characters were analogous to his own personality and life, so maybe he could write off the cuff like that because subconsciously he knew what they might do. Or maybe that's just a nonsense comment?

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, if as a writer you know people, and hopefully characters, well, and are willing to let them grow as the story develops, then you could probably write like that.

3. IndianaJoan

IndianaJoan New Member

Anyone who has written a novel can swear by this..if you have your basic plot figured out and your characters outlined..as the story progresses you will find that your characters tell their OWN story ..often times its very surprising.

That quote..is a quote I live by. Dont get too hung up on having all the dirty details worked out..cause your characters will do it for u.

4. Peter

Peter New Member

I agree. With some background info and characteristics in mind for your character, you should be able to let them do whatever it is they want to do. That way, especially with short stories, they will deal with the situation they're in realistically, because as the story develops everything will be new to them. And if there're any problems in logic or plot, you can tidy them up in your next draft.

5. xxkozxx

xxkozxx Active Member

I completely agree. I have definitely found that a character will come through as your writing goes on. The more you get into the story you are writing, the more the characters take on a life of their own. It just kind of comes to you.

6. Laimtoe

Laimtoe New Member

Eh... Ray Bradbury... not a fan.

I wouldn't take his advice simply because I don't like what he's written and how he's written it.

7. Max Vantage

Max Vantage Banned

Characterisation can come from either side of the table. Some find that their writing is better when they have mapped the plot out whereas others feel as if they don't really know what's going to happen in their stories until it happens.

Any writer you come across, whether here or anywhere else, take their methods, opinion, strategies, etc with a pinch of salt. What works for you may not work for anyone and vice versa.

No other writer's approach to their writing thrills me much. :rolleyes: