Nastyjman's progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by nastyjman, Sep 13, 2015.

1. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Morning daydreaming is fun. I'm playing out some of the scenes in my head that I haven't written down yet. I'm debating whether to do another capture scene or a twist on it. The twist seems to be the better one since it's clearer in my head when I imagine it.

With my five scenes ahead method, this twist is beyond that scope. I'm not sure if I want to write that twist down on a future index card. And my hesitation stems from a Darwinian process on ideas: if the scene or idea is good enough, it will survive in your head.

Friday is break night, so I won't be getting in words on my manuscript. But tomorrow should give me enough time to make up for it and for Father's Day.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

1,000 words this morning, pushing the WIP to 27k.

Planning to do more tonight. Hopefully I get another 1k in after today's agenda of having dim sum with family and then cleaning the apartment.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin Digging out my Balzac Contributor

Awesome dim sum in NYC. Where do you go?

nastyjman likes this.
  4. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Will be going to this place called "Grand" which is in Flushing. But the best I've had so far was in Golden Unicorn which is always busy and packed.

Homer Potvin likes this.
  5. Homer Potvin

I'll check it out... gonna be in town in a few weeks I hope.

6. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Also check out Nom Wah Tea Parlor. That one's good too.

7. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

1,500 words tonight, pushing the wip to 28.5k!

I wanted to push the wip to 30k this weekend, but life happens, and sometimes you just gotta' go with the flow. Next week will also be a danger to my writing time since it's Pride celebration here in NYC, and a friend is coming over to celebrate with me and my husband.

8. Homer Potvin

How was the dim sum? I was forking through some New Hampshire "Chinese" food and trying to remember what civilization tasted like.

9. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

It was good! Had a lot pork buns which I love to death! (Not really. I mean, I won't trade my first born... unless it's a lifetime supply.)

Homer Potvin likes this.
  10. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

1k words tonight; 29.5k total.

The scene is coming along greatly, and it's faster than the other scenes I've constructed thus far. This chapter alone is pushing my words per hour to 1,200.

However, I'm also having self-doubt with how my sentences flow from one another and also how my narration is balanced. I have a feeling that there's too much action and not too much internality. I'm going to do copywork every morning, starting tomorrow. I'll be highlighting sentences and color-code them with their mode. So far, the modes I know of are action, dialogue, description, thoughts/emotions and summaries. Dialogue won't have a color because it's easily distinguishable. The rest will have their own color. Action is red, description is green, thoughts/emotions is blue and summaries as yellow. With this, I can see how other authors balance their modes, see how much descriptions they use, how much internality they juxtapose with action, etc.

11. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Another 1k tonight, reaching a 30.5k milestone!

This morning, I did some copywork of Brandon Sanderson's Way of Kings. I copied the prologue and then highlighted each sentences with their designated modes. As with the post above, action sentences are red, descriptions are green, thoughts are blue, and none for dialogue since it's easy to distinguish. What I had observed was action was not used much as I assumed it would be. But then again, it was the prologue and not a climactic or tense scene. I'm going to keep doing copywork every morning just to see how the pros balance their sentence modes and also see how the modes flow from one to another. It's really cool to see it visually. Here's a screenie of the copywork I did for Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson:

ToDandy likes this.
  12. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Senior Member

We can post small samples of copyrighted books here?

13. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I credited the author, so I think it's okay. If it's not then I'll gladly delete the screenie.

14. Homer Potvin

You're fine... we post things here all the time. There's no infringement until somebody gets paid.

15. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

500 words last night. WIP at 31k.

Only did 500 because I wanted to rest and relax. Weekend will be hectic since it's Pride weekend, and a friend from out of town is coming by to stay at our place. I'm hoping I can sneak in some time writing this weekend.

16. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Happy Pride everyone!

Only got to do 300 words this morning since we needed to entertain our guest. We're taking him out to the parade and also some bar hopping.

Tomorrow, I should be back to my normal writing routine.

17. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Also, our escapades led us to New Jersey where I impulsively bought a corkboard for my scenes. Finally have this baby propped up.

18. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I did a scene list for my last short story. It worked out very well. Your tips have been very helpful. Thanks.

nastyjman likes this.
  19. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I'm happy that I helped with your writing process! :D

20. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Taking a break on the manuscript for a week. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm taking a break because . . . I'm outlining the middle.

GASP!

But I'm actually excited. I think my first time outlining, which was years ago, failed because I didn't have an ending in mind. Now that I have an ending or a climax, I think the outlining process would be smoother this time around. When I went back to that old project, I found that I didn't even finish the outline of that trashed novel.

Although I still love the sense of uncertainty, I think that emotion is now shifted to the outlining process. My only fear is that once I'm done outlining, my brain will be like, "you're done with this story, why write more?" I'm trying to assuage that fear by telling myself that I have yet to really experience the story. Since the outline is just the bare bones, it is bereft of any emotion and experience. As I create the outline, I am looking at my story as god, but once I'm writing, I'm looking at it through my characters, empathizing with them as they go through my design.

We'll see how it goes. Experimentation is always key, and if it goes well, then I can say that I have also outlined a story fully.

Dracon, Stormburn and OJB like this.
  21. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

So I'm giving myself a hard deadline on the outline. Two weeks is all I'm giving, which I believe is sensible since I'm already a quarter through the novel. If I'm not able to finish it by that time (which is doubtful, I hope) then I have to push on with the manuscript.

Stormburn likes this.
  22. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Outlining has been fruitful. I think I'm going to finish the outline this weekend.

I forgot how fun outlining can be, and I think I stuck to this because I had an ending planned ahead. And despite having that ending planned out, it morphs and changes as the outline nears completion. Another fun thing with outlining is the back and forth between scenes, planting items and dialogue that makes future scenes credible.

Here's a blogpost from Brandon Sanderson regarding outlining by beginning with the ending: http://faq.brandonsanderson.com/node/306

Stormburn likes this.
  23. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Stormburn likes this.
  24. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Outline is done! I didn't complete it fully yet. Just stopped at the very end of the climax. The wrap-up and the resolution will be pantsed. :cheerleader:

Dracon likes this.
  25. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I appreciate the two links above. Ironically, Sanderson states he wrote Elantris based upon the last few chapters and those are his favorite parts of the book. I felt like the last part of Elantris was the weakest. Thanks for the links. I'm ready to begin outlining my fantasy series and this is a great help.
    Godspeed!

nastyjman likes this.