Nastyjman's progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by nastyjman, Sep 13, 2015.

1. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Back on the writing saddle. Did 750 words tonight to ease me in, which puts the WIP at 33k.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  2. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Happy Fourth of July everyone!

Did 1,200 words today, bumping the WIP to 34k.

3. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Wrote 1k today, pushing the WIP to 35k.

The outline has helped my daily word count. It helps with the second-guessing and random daydreaming, which sometimes goes on and on as I try to decide what will happen in the middle. With the outline, I have confidence as to where the story is going.

Even though I had outlined the middle, I am still pantsing how the scenes are played out. Currently, I only have the beats summarized in the Scene/Sequel format like so:

From the start of the scene, I just wing it, discovering what the dialogue is, what the actions are, what descriptions needs to be made, etc. But as I get closer to the Outcome, that's when I zero in and stick with the outline.

The process is still a work in progress. I just need to keep consistent and find out what works. So far, I think I can write a story with an outline in hand. Before, I thought I was a full on pantser, unable to write if I had the story planned. So far, that's not the case. Maybe it's because I haven't found the right process until now.

GingerCoffee likes this.
  4. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Another 1k today; WIP at 36k.

Even though I know how the scene will end, I'm excited to find out how it got there. I have clues as to how, but I'm improvising some actions just to increase the tension and suspense, and also make the story fun to write.

Stormburn likes this.
  5. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

My WIP is now at 40,000 words! :-D:-D:-D

I'm still in the middle of the story. My characters had just gone through a major loss, which will force everyone into drastic action. I'm still following my rough outline, and most of the time, I'm deviating from my initially planned beats. In a sense, I'm still pantsing my scenes, but I will always aim for the the scene's climax.

Dracon and Homer Potvin like this.
  6. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Been a while since I updated.

WIP is at 50k words now. :)

I slowed down a bit because of some real-life stuff, but I always made a point to write at least 400 words a day.

I'm at the climax of my novel, and I think I'll be done this month. Will update once I get there.

Keep writing!

7. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Finally finished the first draft of my second novel this weekend!

:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Taking a breather on that manuscript, so I'm focusing instead on the first novel. I will be doing some edits and revisions based on beta feedback. The edits have been great so far, and I haven't upchucked while reading it, which is a good sign. I'm intending to change something, but will decide if it's appropriate once I get to it.

I am going to put my foot down and tell myself that this will be the very last edit that this first novel will get. I don't want to fall into the trap of revision-itis. My process will be these: red-pen edit, read it out loud, and then load it in a text-to-speech program. After those steps, I'm done and I'm going to release this baby in the wild where critics and amazon trolls would feast on its carcass.

Ah, the joys of being a novelist.

Good luck all and keep writing!

Stormburn, Homer Potvin and Dracon like this.
  8. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Wow. It's been a while since I updated this.

So here's an update--

I am at the last leg of finalizing my first novel. I am running the manuscript through a text-to-speech program which helped with typos, sentence flow and pacing. I highly recommend adding this in your editing arsenal. For me, I read out loud my manuscript so I can add my "voice" to the manuscript. Then, I use a text-to-speech to check for areas that my mind skimmed over.

I'm aiming to release this book before the year ends. Not sure if I'll make it since I need a cover and an ebook formatter.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

This is great news! Thanks for checking in!

nastyjman likes this.
  10. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I will be working with my husband for a book cover and also a headshot for my Amazon profile. I'm aiming to release this book this weekend or the next. At this point I just want to get the book out. I'm not expecting stellar sales; what I want from this is the experience.

Also, in the interim, I'm writing a short story just to keep my writing gears oiled. For the past months, I've been doing nothing but editing and administrative work. Enjoying it right now, but I know as soon as I'm done with it, I will need to prepare for the revisions on my second book.

11. Stormburn

That's great! Can you tell us the book title so I can check it out?

12. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Sure! The book title is:

NO HEROES

(Just remembered I would also need to write the blurb... )

13. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Finally clicked the "Publish" button in Amazon.

It will take within 72 hours to show up. We'll see how it goes.

Here's the blurb I currently have:

The Locke twins possess a peculiar power: they can pass pain and injuries to one another. Despite this flaw, Aries Locke dreams in becoming a superhero one day, to the chagrin of his twin, Ezra. But after performing a heroic deed they soon learn why there are no heroes in the world.

With the help of their mother, they run away from the shadow of The Purity Project—an organization devoted in controlling and regulating superhumans.​

Stormburn likes this.
  14. Stormburn

I will definitely be looking this up. Congrats!

15. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Here it is folks! The first book!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0782Y46B9/?tag=writingfor07a-20

I will be learning marketing and administrative stuff along the way, but I will always write everyday. Now I have three hats to juggle with: writer hat, editor hat and administrative hat.

Thank you @Tenderiser, @Lew, @kateamedeo, @ToDandy, @Stormburn, @Lifeline and @Homer Potvin for checking in and connecting!

Lifeline, Dracon, Stormburn and 2 others like this.
  16. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin There's no basement in the Alamo. Contributor

Woo-hoo! Beers?

nastyjman likes this.
  17. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

[​IMG]

Homer Potvin and GingerCoffee like this.
  18. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man Contest Administrator Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Woohoo!

I think there's a typo in your blurb, unless "dreams in" is a phrase I'm not aware of?

The Locke twins possess a peculiar power: they can pass pain and injuries to one another. Despite this flaw, Aries Locke dreams in [of?] becoming a superhero one day, to the chagrin of his twin, Ezra. But after performing a heroic deed they soon learn why there are no heroes in the world.

With the help of their mother, they run away from the shadow of The Purity Project—an organization devoted in controlling and regulating superhumans.

nastyjman likes this.
  19. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Thanks @Tenderiser! I edited the blurb. Might take around 6 hours for the edit to show.

20. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I will need to do some updating on my blog. So far I know my content would revolve around the creative process and also novel updates. The sidebar needs a link to my amazon page for purchasing. I need a thumbnail for it, but I'll put the link on it as a placeholder.

From all the podcasts and articles I've read, they say that mailing lists are important. I don't have one yet, but I'm in the process of getting one. It would require me to rent a PO Box. From then on, not sure how to proceed.

I've tossed myself in the water. So far I haven't drowned yet.

Other than that, I wrote about 800 words last night on a short story. I also submitted a short story to an e-zine.

Stormburn likes this.
  21. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Short story is done, leaving that on the back burner for now. I am revising another short story which I had finished months ago in between drafts of my novel.

I am aiming to revise the second novel at the start of next year. I have a lot of word soup on that one. I had maintained a summary outline while writing it, and next to each summarized scenes were notes to myself on what needs to be changed, fixed or revised. It's the first time that I have detailed info on the manuscript. The first novel was written by the seat of my pants, and I made notes afterwards as I read through it (thank goodness I didn't upchuck when I did).

The second novel will be the product of what I've learned from the first novel. Hopefully it will be less painful and less stressful and less hair-pulling-teeth-gritting exercise.

As far as sales go on the first novel--

I've made 10 dollars, so four people bought it. It's a start. I still need to learn how to set up my mailing list and design my website. My intention of releasing this book was really for the lessons I will get from marketing it and getting it out in the world where, hopefully, it would be read and then cut up and sliced into two-star reviews.

A writer needs to start somewhere.

Anyways, keep on writing my fellow writers!

Lifeline and Stormburn like this.
  22. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I finalized my PO Box rental, so now my mailing list is up.

YEY!

I have no idea where to start with that thing though. I've been testing it with my personal email, but I'm encountering a spam problem with the confirmation email. My work email was okay with the mailchimp confirmation email, so that's good.

I subscribed to my favorite authors' mailing lists so I can find out what content they're sending. So far no emails from them yet. I'm drawing a blank. I'm aiming to write a couple of short stories and then give it away for free just to entice people to sign up.

I'm still reading up, listening into and watching stuff about mailing lists. It's the next thing I need to learn apart from craft.

Now that I've aired my thoughts on that . . .

I finished the outline for a short story last night. I think I'm getting comfortable on how I create my outlines, which is great since I'll be utilizing that on my next stories and novels.

The holiday weekend may strain my writing schedule. I'll bring a notebook with me so I can at least write something with pen and paper, something new to add to my short story portfolio.

Anyway, have a Happy Holiday y'all!

Stormburn and Lifeline like this.
  23. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Hope everyone had a Happy Holiday! I know I did. Got a Nintendo Switch, which means I may get distracted. But I was a good boy yesterday. Managed to edit 1000 words on a short story, and as soon as I was done, I got to play.

2018 is coming, and I need to set some goals for myself. The biggest one will be my second book, No Villains. I intend to self-publish that by the end of next year. Another would be a collection of short stories that supplements this series. I think I can complete that around March or April.

Stormburn likes this.
  24. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Yeeesh... I'm creeped out by my own short story. I hope the emotion translates fully to the reader.

Back in the writing saddle. Yesterday was an off-day, but I did manage to write some words for the blog, which is still in 1st draft.

25. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Short story is still chugging along.

I am now devoting Thursdays and Sundays for marketing tasks. The only off-days I have for writing would be Fridays. Not too bad. I love writing, and treating it like a job is great. It's a dream job so might as well treat it like one.

The next order for my marketing efforts is to post an article in my blog regarding my morning practice. I do copywork every morning, limiting it to 20 minutes. It's quick and easy, and it really helps (at least for me). Once I finish the draft for it, I'll definitely share it to y'all.

Stormburn and Homer Potvin like this.