Nastyjman's progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by nastyjman, Sep 13, 2015.

1. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Short story is finally done... And it's not very short. It's like 8000 words kinda' short. It's still in 2nd draft, so it may get whittled down more.

Not sure what my next project will be. I'm guessing that I will need to create the outlines for the short stories connected to my series. I think I'm going to do that first before I work on the second novel. Once the outlines are done, I will then work on the 2nd draft for the second novel.

As for the marketing efforts, I finally finished the draft for a blog post about my own copywork exercise routine. I'm also planning to do some critique on short stories as part of my outreach. I'll still give advice here and there, but critique should also be part of my efforts.

I'm still in my infancy with regards to this self-pubbing business. As what the great Mitch Hedberg once said, "This is all part of my get-rich-slow scheme."

Stormburn likes this.
  2. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Finally posted my blog post on a favorite exercise I do everyday: copywork.

Link: http://jonmayo.blogspot.com/2018/01/copywork-exercise-for-writers.html

Writing that post took a while, but it gave me insight on how I write non-fiction material. Fiction and non-fiction writing are not the same. I presumed that the process would be the same, but it was clearly not. I struggled a bit, sometimes forcing myself to sit down and just write whatever comes. But now that I've produced something that I enjoyed writing, I can further refine my non-fiction writing process.

I have some ideas on what to write next in my blog post, but I have to take a break from that for now.

This week, I've been brainstorming and outlining the short story collection for my series. I have eight ideas so far, and one complete outline. I think I'm going to limit it to five shorts. I'm kinda' excited for the collection because I want to experience what these characters are going through. An outline is bereft of emotion; there are gaps in it. Writing the actual story fills in those gaps, and you get to "act out" a scene as if you're an actor.

Stormburn and Homer Potvin like this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin I dress myself! Contributor

Jeezum, you couldn't find anything longer than It or Shogun? Though I imagine copying things like, "Perhaps the anjin-san would like a dog or a duck to pillow with" would make me smile.

nastyjman likes this.
  4. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Hehehe. I don't intend to copy all of it. Just a chapter here and there.

Shogun is a treat to copy. I like seeing how the author transitions between heads since the narrator is omniscient.

Stormburn and Homer Potvin like this.
  5. Stormburn

Stormburn Senior Member

I've done a little bit of copying and didn't even have a name for it. I've never approached it with a regiment in mind.
    I'm going to give this a go. Thanks!