Nastyjman's progress journal

Discussion in 'Progress Journals' started by nastyjman, Sep 13, 2015.

1. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Short story is finally done... And it's not very short. It's like 8000 words kinda' short. It's still in 2nd draft, so it may get whittled down more.

Not sure what my next project will be. I'm guessing that I will need to create the outlines for the short stories connected to my series. I think I'm going to do that first before I work on the second novel. Once the outlines are done, I will then work on the 2nd draft for the second novel.

As for the marketing efforts, I finally finished the draft for a blog post about my own copywork exercise routine. I'm also planning to do some critique on short stories as part of my outreach. I'll still give advice here and there, but critique should also be part of my efforts.

I'm still in my infancy with regards to this self-pubbing business. As what the great Mitch Hedberg once said, "This is all part of my get-rich-slow scheme."

Stormburn likes this.
  2. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Finally posted my blog post on a favorite exercise I do everyday: copywork.

Link: http://jonmayo.blogspot.com/2018/01/copywork-exercise-for-writers.html

Writing that post took a while, but it gave me insight on how I write non-fiction material. Fiction and non-fiction writing are not the same. I presumed that the process would be the same, but it was clearly not. I struggled a bit, sometimes forcing myself to sit down and just write whatever comes. But now that I've produced something that I enjoyed writing, I can further refine my non-fiction writing process.

I have some ideas on what to write next in my blog post, but I have to take a break from that for now.

This week, I've been brainstorming and outlining the short story collection for my series. I have eight ideas so far, and one complete outline. I think I'm going to limit it to five shorts. I'm kinda' excited for the collection because I want to experience what these characters are going through. An outline is bereft of emotion; there are gaps in it. Writing the actual story fills in those gaps, and you get to "act out" a scene as if you're an actor.

Stormburn and Homer Potvin like this.
  3. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin There's no basement in the Alamo. Contributor

Jeezum, you couldn't find anything longer than It or Shogun? Though I imagine copying things like, "Perhaps the anjin-san would like a dog or a duck to pillow with" would make me smile.

nastyjman likes this.
  4. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Hehehe. I don't intend to copy all of it. Just a chapter here and there.

Shogun is a treat to copy. I like seeing how the author transitions between heads since the narrator is omniscient.

Stormburn and Homer Potvin like this.
  5. Stormburn

Stormburn Contributor Contributor

I've done a little bit of copying and didn't even have a name for it. I've never approached it with a regiment in mind.
    I'm going to give this a go. Thanks!

nastyjman likes this.
  6. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I finished outlining the short story collection for the series. I intend to give this out for free if folks join the newsletter. Or maybe use it as a promo to get people to my website. I'm aiming to finish this short story collection in three months. Hopefully I keep my deadline. Once I'm done with that, I plan to finish the 2nd draft of the second novel.

Stormburn likes this.
  7. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Been a while since updating.

I'm working on a second draft for a short story I'm writing for this series. Current strategy is to write these short stories involving the Abandoned Series, give them out for free and then compile them together as a short story collection that's permafree.

I've also gone Kindle Exclusive, so I don't have my stuff in the other platforms. Since it's my first novel, I think I need to be focused instead of broad. I'll go broad once I have more titles under my name.

I'm refining my writing process as I go. The outlining process is getting better, and my daily writing routine is getting less painful. I tried to begin writing without warming up with freewriting, and that failed. I am now dependent on my four-minute freewriting warm-up. Revision is still a struggle, but I'm getting accustomed to the flow of things. I want to get my process down so I can create things relatively faster.

Stormburn likes this.
  8. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I need to be consistent with my blogging and social media-ing. It's the ugly side of being an author (at least for me). When I get home from an arduous day at work, I just want to relax, log-in on my characters and then throw shit at them until they triumph over the conflicts and dilemmas I have given them.

But if I want to be a success at this, I need to do some mercantile work. I have been silent for the past month with regards to that. My twitter feed is bear, and my last blogpost was at the end of February. However, I've been sending out short stories to magazines, so at least I'm doing something on the back-end of things. But I do need to work on the front-end of things.

I'm toying with the idea of doing some scene analysis on some movies and novels. We'll see if I commit to that. Being active in the community is another possibility, but I don't want to force myself to post on social media just because I have to.

Anyway. The short story anthology for my series is nearing completion. Once that's done, I'll be working on Book Two.

See you in a few weeks (or a month). Keep on writing!

Stormburn likes this.
  9. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

I have something planned for posting regularly on my Twitter and eventually Instagram. I don't want to reveal it now, but you'll see it eventually in my feeds.

I am finalizing the short stories for the Abandoned series. Currently four are near completion. I want to write two more just to pad the collection, so that may take another month or so.

The second novel is still simmering, but I'm planning to print that baby up this week. I can't wait to mark that up with red ink, commentary, cutting critique and some salty tears.

Compared to other indie authors, I am writing at a very slow pace. I'm okay with that. I am still getting my legs on this industry, and I'm learning as I go (though in a snail's pace).

I've canceled my Kindle Exclusive, and I'm back to distributing my book wide (hey there, click here to get my book!) I didn't like the thought of being stuck with one distributor. Also, I've invested some cash on Amazon ads. I may lose that money, but I'll chalk it up to "tuition fee."

Stormburn likes this.
  10. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

1st draft of novel #2 printed out.

Now the HARD PART o_O

[​IMG]

Homer Potvin likes this.
  11. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Stormburn likes this.
  12. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

Currently taking notes and commentaries on the first draft. While doing so, I'm also creating the reverse outline of it, which will help me create the proposal outline for the second draft.

Also, I did another analysis of another author's work. Here's the latest analysis: It by Stephen King: http://jonmayo.blogspot.com/2018/05/scene-analysis-2-it-by-stephen-king.html

Stormburn likes this.
  13. nastyjman

nastyjman Senior Member

The second novel is finally being worked on; the proposal outline for the second draft is being drafted. With the lessons I've learned along the way, I am somewhat confident on how this sequel will go. Once I'm done with the proposal outline, I'll return my focus on the short stories for the Abandoned series. There are four stories, word count approximately 16,000. I intend to distribute that for free.

I've been changing and innovating how I write my stories. My outline method looks daunting and only intelligible to me and me alone. I'm sure every writer has their own process where it looks like madness. That might be the reason why not all writers reveal their writing process. They may pull the curtain just a little bit, but they won't fully unravel their Frankenstein of a writing process.

The scene analysis has been working great. It helps with traffic to my blog, and it also expands my knowledge on the writing craft. I've hit a snag, however, on the highlighters. I just learned that you can only buy them by the bulk. My blue highlighter is drying up, and Amazon will only sell me in packs of six or twelve. I may have to suck it up and just buy an assortment.

Stormburn likes this.