1. rktho

rktho Contributor Contributor

Looking for a word that means 'shared land where two races live together'

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by rktho, Feb 23, 2017.

In my novel, there are two countries that were neighbors, named Khriza and Kadresh. Kadresh went to war with Khriza over the death of a leader (the war was instigated by a Khrizan traitor allying with Kadresh) and when the war ended, a peace was reached. Not only was an alliance forged, but land was given from Khriza where Khrizans and Kadreshians could live together as two coexisting species (my characters are dragons.) I'm trying to come up with a name. The Khridreshian [blank]. (Dragonese, the language of the Khrizans, mashes names of bordering countries in their geography to create certain names; for example, the mountain range separating Khriza from Drakar is called the Drakhrizar Mountains.) I'd like to get the name of some real-world scenario similar to this. Should I call it the Khridreshian Treaty? It is a piece of land, formed by a treaty, not the treaty itself, so I think not. I don't want the name to mean neutral zone, because this land is the product of an alliance and a friendship, or a gift if you will, and not just an agreement to stay out of each others' business. My working name is the Khridreshian Common Lands.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

The best I can do is "protectorate," which is not quite what you are talking about, but I'm assuming the treaty would include provisions to protect the shared land by one nation or the other. Else there'd be little need for a treaty in the first place.

3. rktho

The Khrizans are under the jurisdiction of their emperor, and the Kadreshians of their chief. Local governors preside over both. However, the power would rest more heavily on the governors, as Khriza is a very large territory and Kadresh is fairly sizable. So they'd have semi-autonomy, perhaps similar to the Western Roman and Byzantine empires, perhaps? Except the bordering countries' governments would be a little more involved in the affairs of the area than the divided Roman empire had over each half.
    Also, the purpose of the treaty has more to do with their alliance and agreement not to war with each other than the actual territory, which was a gift from Khriza, as the motives of the war were not imperialistic but retaliatory (though the Kadreshians would have kept the land they conquered had they won the war.)

4. ajaye

ajaye Senior Member

I quite like the Common Lands, it's an easily understood term.

For me Khridreshian gives more weight to Khriza so I was wondering whether the K-Common Lands could work - may be completely the wrong tone though.

5. rktho

It is. But, the hybridization is unique to the Khrizans' language. The Vrakardians have a different name for it.

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Commonwealth? The sound of the name jives though the definition doesn't.

7. Mumble Bee

Mumble Bee Keep writing. Contributor

Conservation, no-mans-land, Togetherlands... the name really depends on the two cultures.

8. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I was also thinking commonwealth.

9. badgerjelly

badgerjelly Contributor Contributor

I would use "Conglomerate".

The Khrideshian Conglomerate has a nice ring to it. If the event happened centuries ago you could even snip it short and say The Khridesh Kong or some such thing?

Other options to use would be Enclave, Convergence, Brace, Unity, Cluster, Progression?

I think a lot depends on how you wish to present this nation to the reader. If it is an enclosed piece of land and compact then "Cluster" has the right quality. Unity would fit if this land is peaceful.

If it is an established and independent nation I would go with "Conglomerate". If not then I do like "Protectorate" or maybe "Enclave", or even "Union"?

Failing all that "Common Lands" seems perfectly reasonable unless you want to use the name to hint at something specific.

10. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

Wouldn't they be 'federated' lands?

rktho likes this.
  11. rktho

Millennia, actually. Convergence might be good...