Tags:
  1. Coach

Coach New Member

Is this a good idea for several short stories? (This relates to setting, trust me)

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Coach, Jun 12, 2012.

Okay, the general theme of something I'm planning to write consists of people who may or may not be immortal with goals that may or may not be noble inhabiting a myriad of abandoned or strange places. (Prypiat, Aokigahara Forest, etc.)

I'm not sure if I should include places that are regularly explored by people, though I've been careful to pick either very large or rarely entered locales. The idea there is that the people I'm writing about are rather skilled at hiding, possibly using some kind of supernatural abilities (as is the case of the man in Aokigahara Forest)

And on that note, are there any places you think would work well with the abandoned/strange theme?

Thanks.

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. What matters is how you write it: the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's absolutely no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

If you think you can get more mileage out of the idea than one story, fine. You're probably better off switching it out, though, rather than settling yourself into a single setting and concept. This is especially true for a new writer.

3. Coach

Coach New Member

Hmmm...I suppose so.

I really could use a few suggestions for places, though. :redface:

4. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

I won't do that. Exercise your own imagination, draw upon your own experiences. Select a setting that meets the need of the story, not the other way around.

5. maidahl

maidahl Banned

Give us excerpts once you've started?