1. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

Liability?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Prometheus, Mar 7, 2010.

I have one character give another a Louis L'Amour book and I poke fun at the genre. Could I run into liability issues?

.....Listen to this part he said to Beau and read from the book with a cracking falsetto:
    “Oh, Tristen you’re so brave. I don’t know what I would have done had you not scared those men away. Her dress was torn from where the men had pulled her away from each other. The tops of her breasts heaved like two milk white doves getting ready to take flight. Will you stay here tonight to make sure they don’t come back. I only have the one bed but I know you are an honorable man……”
    Blue was laughing so hard he couldn’t read anymore. Beau gave him a look that said “What’s up with the silly voice?”

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

is that an actual quote from l'amour's work? [it's so badly written, i can't imagine him having commited such garbage to paper]...

if it's not, then you're blatantly libeling [the operative word is 'libel' not 'liable'] mr. l'amour and his heirs can have your head [and all you'll ever own] for having done so...

have you actually read any of his novels?... don't go by his name alone... he was considered a master of the western/cowboy genre and didn't really write romance novels, as you seem to think he did...

fyi, he wrote the novel that was turned into one of macho john wayne's most notable films, 'hondo'... along with many others... plus, the hopalong cassidy series and countless short stories...

1 person likes this.
  3. Prometheus

Prometheus Banned

I chose l'amour because of his iconoclasm. No, I haven't read his work since I was a kid.
    I will most certainly now leave his name out. Thanks for the advice. FYI: I wrote that that badly intentionally, there are some truly horrific westerns out there.

Edit to add: Who's to claim that that would be libeling, (thanks for the grammar lesson) style is very subjective. I'm picking up you really like his writing, sorry if that offended you.