Need help about religion and the LGBT community

Discussion in 'Research' started by Lone_Wolf, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Since I've not written that far out, only planned to some extent, I'm as interested as you to find out. :-D

2. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Write faster! :write:

3. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

As someone with a formerly Catholic parent, who spent time in the Catholic church as a child, I'll offer my insights.

Firstly, while they're definitely anti-gay, it's not something that Catholics typically discuss much. It seems like to some conservative Protestant churches, homosexuality is the #1 biggest issue they're concerned with - the Catholic church isn't like that. They tend to focus much more on issues that actually impact most of their congregation, like having bad thoughts about each other, trying to be more welcoming, doing works of charity for the less fortunate, etc. I literally can't remember homosexuality even coming up in church, and only once in conversation with a person who went to that church. (Then again, I didn't know anyone who was out as gay at the time.)

Plus, there's a strong trend of denial, especially around sexual issues. You see that with how they dealt with the pedophile priests issue for many years, before the public at large figured it out. And in my own experience, most of the Catholics I knew really didn't want to hear about how I'd been sexually abused by foster siblings and how that was affecting me, and they ended up taking out a lot of their distate for the subject on me and my family - including my brother, who wasn't even born yet when the abuse happened. I could see a lot of the people I knew being willing to deal with a non-straight family member by just ignoring the entire issue, including pretending that the conversation never happened if the person comes out, and pretending that their partner is a roommate/best friend. As long as the gay person doesn't press them on their denial, things might stay quite civil, in a tense sort of way.

And lastly, traditionally, if you didn't want the marriage + kids deal, you'd have one acceptable option in the Catholic church - being a priest or nun. However, they're a bit more touchy about gay men becoming priests lately, because they don't really get the difference between gay and pedophile, and the pedophile priests have really hurt the church's reputation a lot. But a lesbian could probably be a nun, if she's willing to remain celibate, because as far as I know lesbians don't have the same negative associations in their eyes.

The biggest thing I remember about Catholics is that they're super into ritual. Communion, confession, all the various stages a child goes through to progress to an adult church member, it's very complicated, and very important to Catholics. That's the #1 biggest contrast between Catholics and Anglicans (which my other parent is, and my formerly Catholic parent has become). And Catholics hate change - they've got traditions dating back to the middle ages, and it wasn't until the 60s or so that they stopped using Latin in the church. Protestants are a lot more willing to change things up, for better or worse.