Tags:
  1. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Interlude or prologue?

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by OB1, Jan 18, 2018.

Hi,

I have been reading books by James Maxwell (Evermen Saga) and the muriwood books by Jeff Wheeler etc. These authors seem to use interludes to chapters to reveal what I understand to be a background of the overarching story, rather than writing a prologue.

I am reticent of writing a prologue for my book, because I would like to write a prequel at some point and feel like a prologue might give the game away. My idea was although these prequels are not written yet I was going to write an interlude between each chapter that refers to snippets of what could eventually be prequels to the book and then sign it off at the bottom of the interlude as a citation of those books. Thus almost self marketing my other works.

I wanted to see what people thought of this idea.

Thanks

2. Fiender_

Fiender_ Active Member

Well, first and foremost, worry about the first book first. Maybe we don't need to know every detail about the backstory to understand and enjoy the book. Likewise, perhaps there is a vital detail without which, the story falls flat. Use your judgment and the guidance of any critiquers you have. It's probably best to wait until the first book is out of the gate, before you worry about the prequel(s).

8Bit Bob likes this.