Tags:
  1. Olive Clément

Olive Clément New Member

Need help for a Middle age horror novel plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Olive Clément, Jan 2, 2019.

Hello guys, I'm new on this forum ! I'm looking for ideas for my plot.

I created a story about a Middle age city that naturally grows. No one is building new houses, because the city makes new places appear like some sort of plant. Sometimes the use of these buildings is obvious (houses), sometimes it's really not clear, (weird shapes, cubes, triangles and so on)
    The main character, Soli, is an architect. In this world, it means that he has to interpret the function of the new buildings. It's quite important because everyone believes that the city is actually alive and trying to communicate something by offering specific places, buildings to its inhabitants. So the city could become angry...and infect people. Urbanize them.
    Indeed Soli's daughter, Laura, is sick with the "urban infection". A small city-shaped black infection is growing on her hand, and she is believed to die soon. Only one crazy lady pretends to know how to cure it, but she's most likely hopeless.

I'm not sure where to go from there.
    Soli's wife, Amélie, could be charged with exterior commercial relationship between villages, and then the city is growing a lot of weapons, towers, and other military stuff, worrying and tensing up the relations with closest towns.

I always have a stimulating first idea and then I'm having a hard time developing it, finding twists, so your help is more than welcome. I really want to write a universe where I could invest a lot of time in. Bring your ideas, hints and more !

2. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

First of all, I love the idea! It sounds pretty unique, and I would love to see what you can do about it. That said, the first thing that comes to my mind is if the city is good or evil. Or neither? I mean, if the city is alive, does it have to eat? And if so, eat what? I think it could be cool if the people living there are "cattle" the city needs to consume to stay alive. This will give us a fun dilemma. Can they continue to feed the city humans to make sure it stays alive? If they stop, will the city die? And if so, what then? Will it be reduced to a "normal" city, or will it be destroyed? Can they find an alternate food source for the city? And if that's the case, how far can they go? Can they capture people from other cities, to feed their own? And for that matter, are there other cities like this? And what is the city anyway?

Gah, so many questions already. Almost makes me wish I was the one who came up with this idea. :) But don't worry, I have enough with my own ideas, so I'll leave this one for you. :)

LoaDyron and jim onion like this.
  3. EBohio

EBohio Banned

First, I don't know what you mean by MIDDLE age.

But in general, why is the MC an architect in a city where the planet grows buildings on it's own? You must want him to be an architect for some reason (other than he "interprets" what the buildings are for). At least you are on the right start with conflict. There is no drama without conflict.

We can't create this world for you. You have to at least have a theme for this. What is it that you want to say? If I know what you are trying to say with theme I could probably be more helpful.

Rosacrvx likes this.
  4. jim onion

jim onion New Member

Well, if your MC gets the wrong "interpretation" for a new building, it could have grisly consequences.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  5. LoaDyron

LoaDyron Contributor Contributor

I love your idea. Don't give up! :superagree:I agree with LadyErica suggestion, your city is alive, and maybe the habitats are a way for nature to consume. I would say whatever you decide the city be evil or good, ask these questions: if the city is right, then it will have no problem for the habitats to feed on what it offers. However, wouldn't the citizens take advantage of that? How far will they damage their city? What your MC will do when finds out about this? But, the town is evil then means it has some intelligence, which the citizens aren't aware. What is your city planning? If the place consumes the habitats to keep alive, how your MC will solve the problem? Can in any way nature influence the habitats? I hope this helps. Keep on good work and have fun. :supersmile:

6. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

It's another term for medieval ages. ;) No idea how common it is in the US, but it's quite common here in Europe.

7. EBohio

EBohio Banned

I guessed that is what you meant but I wasn't sure.

8. Olive Clément

Olive Clément New Member

Wow ! I didn't expect answers so quickly :D
    Thank you, your comments contains already very interesting ideas !
    I had this idea months ago and I've been stuck since. This forum was the best decision ever lol

@LadyErica No problem, you explore the idea if you want, I don't own it :)
    If I ever publish it it'll be in French anyway !

I love the idea of the city consuming humans, because I like horror stories, and it implies very hard decisions for characters.
    Yeah the city is intelligent. I think it's better if it's different from human intelligence so her morality will be tough and unpredictable. So I want the city to be rather good, (maybe she wants to protect her...food ! like a breeding), but she can still be very dangerous if inhabitants piss her off, so to speak.
    @Foxxx yeah as you said !

@EBohio That's all good questions, I need to work on this. About Middle Age : I mean a world with basic technology, mostly rural, no electricity, no fire weapons either.
    I think what I mean is I don't like industrialistation, promiscuity, and surpopulation. I'm kind of scared by big cities, it feels too fast, too big, and not human. I hate that that there is so many people and if I get a work it means I take the place of someone else. We are just steppnig on each other's heads today. I almost need to go to Paris if I want to do something in Cinema and I can't stand it. And in big cities you rent a cellar for the price of gold. I have a lot of frustration and anger from all of this. Maybe this will inspire you :p

Anyway.
    Sometimes entities with a very high level of morality seems like pure psychos (Dr.Manhattan in Watchmen), that's a cool theme for the city.

It would be nice if she tries to protect them from an upcoming cataclysm and they completely misunderstand it, but I'm not sure how to reach this twist.

I also thought of a very personal way of communication for the city : she could just grow a tree-like statue of someone in particular in the central place, asking for him to be sacrified ! For food mainly. But humans think it's justice...so a lot of tension grows between people...hmm we're getting somewhere ! I like to know the end of the story, then I know where I'm going even if I don't plan any chapters.

Thank you again for your warm welcome and support ^^ It's really motivating ! I'll keep this thread updated if I have some breakthroughs :)

I stay open to comments and suggestions, I love it, until I tell you that I get a solid plan :)

9. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Looks like OP didn't mean medieval, just rural with no electricity.

Cave Troll likes this.
  10. LadyErica

LadyErica Active Member

Could be the "living city" thing. Doesn't sound like a normal city to me. :)