Tags:
  1. PhantomChevalier

PhantomChevalier New Member

Need Help Making Villen

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by PhantomChevalier, Dec 21, 2017.

Trying to write a fiction story that's fantasy based and having trouble coming up with some ideas for Villon plots. This is the biggest trouble i ever have. Not for small villeins but for the big bad. general plot is to try to make a main character who life $#!+$ on and is constantly faced with the expectations that he will destroy everything based on his mixed blood and there is a rival who is the worlds expected hero the perfect nice guy that meats expectations while the MC keeps being the unexpected and out shining the Rival teaching the rival that he can be what he wants to be not just whats expected of him and to just be himself. Wanting to make a story where it shows and shines on these two hero's and teaches the reader to be them self and not to be forced to be what they are not.

2. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

We usually don't quibble much about spelling around here, but you spelled "villain" three different ways and none of them were correct. I'm not trying to be a dick, but the lack of clarity (or attention to clarity) makes the question difficult to follow.

3. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

A villan of the piece.

4. Robert Musil

Robert Musil Comparativist Contributor

How do you know the OP meant "villain"? Maybe they're trying to write about a feudal tenant in medieval England (a villein) or 15th century French poet Francois Villon. In that case at least one of them's correct!

5. Sundowner

Sundowner Active Member

This is one of the core elements of Shiki and one of the sources of some of the drama in it, I could recommend you read/watch that for some inspiration. But nobody's really going to tell you how to write your story, not right off the bat anyway. You might want to find someone to talk with to bat around ideas. Not me, though.

6. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Right... crap. Context strikes again!

7. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

Not to mention "Meats expectations" - I don't want to be more of an asshole than I usually am either, but this is a writers forum...

Also it isn't usual for a fiction book to teach the reader anything - they generaly read for entertainment or escapism not to be taught a lesson about themselves

Sundowner likes this.
  8. Lemie

Lemie Contributor Contributor

Anyone to make me feel better about my English - I think we should keep them!

...though I think the meaty expectation is a context thing too...

crappycabbage and CoyoteKing like this.
  9. exweedfarmer

exweedfarmer Banned Contributor

When I started writing, a friend and faithful reader found a quote from Andrew Jackson 7th president of the United States, which I posted above my typewriter. "It is a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

That being said.... No one ever gets up in the morning and says to the face in the mirror "Today, I will be completely evil."
    The bad guy is just someone with a different point of view. Adolf Hitler for example, did he really have anything against the Jews? If you read Mein Kampf, the question gets a little blurred. Not that I'm a Hitler fan by any means. Death camps and extermination trucks cannot be forgiven no matter how much speed his doctor gave him. All Abraham Lincoln had to do to prevent the civil war was NOT take the oath of office. A villain only has to be slightly skewed, not the devil himself.

10. Sundowner

Sundowner Active Member

I really hate black-and-white villains and heroes. For the most part I don't like villains in general, I like it when there's two sides of a war, both having people who don't mean harm but just trying to get by along with genuinely insane people giving a bad name to both sides. Which sounds like what the OP is sort of going for, but hasn't yet figured out that a story doesn't need a hero and villain like your saturday morning cartoons do. A story can have two protagonists, just one that was dealt a bad hand in life and has to become naturally opposed to the other protagonist. Either that, or one of them can decide to lie down and die, and nobody really wants to do that.

11. CoyoteKing

CoyoteKing Good Boi Contributor

I just noticed you're Swedish.

Neat.

Lemie likes this.
  12. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Imma take this as innuendo and pretend you're writing fantasy based erotica. 'Fantarotica!' Also, heroes and villians are less about character and more about whether their side won the war or not.

Lemie likes this.
  13. ShaunGreen

ShaunGreen New Member

Every person has the potential to be a hero and a villain, and we all go through life being both in the eyes of somebody else. One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter... Surely villain would be the character who is opposite to the point of view given to the reader in the context of the story?

14. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

If I understood what you wrote correctly (hopefully I did), what I'm looking at is that you actually have two genres mixed together. You have a coming of age novel with a fantasy backdrop. That's going to be tough to make work in the way you want it to work. The story you described to me doesn't scream "Big bad villain."

15. Francis de Aguilar

Francis de Aguilar Contributor Contributor

If we just accept you mean bad guy, right?

Okay read some books with bad guys in, that would be a good start. Even a few movies.