1. Clayton Adair

Clayton Adair New Member

Need help trying to add personality.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Clayton Adair, Mar 5, 2020.

Hello I’m trying to create a rockstar vampire character. He’s an ESFP, male model and have high functioning autistic. I need help figuring out the rest of his characteristics.

Xoic likes this.
  2. Lili.A.Pemberton

Lili.A.Pemberton Active Member

Might wanna add a little more detail to your post there. Help with what? What exactly are you asking us here?

cosmic lights likes this.
  3. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

What is his goals, motive, and conflict. That's where characters are really built. If a character doesn't have these three things, then it doesn't matter what other traits you have.

Xoic likes this.
  4. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

You don't really come up with individual characters so much as a group of them that will be in conflict around the main story issue (that's the conflict Kallisto mentioned). I like to think of a story as a conflict engine—each character is a piston and they all need to be running on explosive fuel (powerful emotions or desires or will). If you think of the design of a V-8 engine, the cylinders are tilted against each other so they move in opposing directions, and the camshaft turns their opposition into forward drive, which is the story's forward movement. A bit clunky maybe, but it reminds me that each main character needs to be powerfully driven in some way that affects all the others as well—none of them stand alone. A single piston couldn't provide enough forward drive.

To take this metaphor a little too far, I suppose the author is the driver who decides where the conflict engine is headed, and navigates all the twists and turns to get it there.

And your story structure is the map... ok, I need to stop now. :cool:

ImpactFrames likes this.
  5. keysersoze

keysersoze Senior Member

Characters don't exist in vacuum. They can but then they won't be in a story. So if you have an ESFP vampire character, you should also have an opponent in probably an INTJ shaman or something like that. Can be interesting. Now when you situate them in front of each other, how will the dynamics play out? The ESFP would want to remain free and experience as much as possible, in your case drink blood from as many sources as possible. The enemy can also be another vampire, who is an INTJ who is very careful about not getting caught. The ESFP usually runs into trouble but gets out of it because of his spontaneity and adaptiveness.

So, you see, you need conflict and in that conflict, specific traits will emerge. If you develop characters in vacuum, imagining their personality types, they might never rise up from the page to become real characters.

Then there is characterization and character revelation. What books have you read about writing narratives?

Kalisto and Xoic like this.