1. drifter265

drifter265 Banned

What is the synopsis of the stories people are writing?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by drifter265, Mar 17, 2015.

So there's a lot of questions and responses from a lot of people here and they all, in way or another, point out that everyone's writing a story, but no one ever says what their story is about. I would like to know.

For example, my story is about a group of characters that find a supernatural jewel and use it to propel their self-interests.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

OK, I'll bite.

Mine is about a load of power-hungry nobles in a medieval setting trying to seize adjacent thrones and killing and raping and pillaging on a fairly indiscriminate basis. No, it's real history, NOT a GoT rip-off!

3. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Mine is about a man who goes off hiking on his lonesome and decides to explore a ravine he stumbles upon. Unfortunately he falls and gets his foot trapped by a rock. He then reminisces about his past mistakes and triumphs until it becomes clear he can only escape by hacking his foot off with a penknife.

jannert and Renee J like this.
  4. Ben414

Ben414 Contributor Contributor

I'd tell you what my story is about, but then I'd have to kill you.

Your choice.

5. Ben414

Did it take the person 127 hours before he cut off his foot after getting trapped?

6. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

One of mine's about the only two people to survive a plane crash in the middle of the Atlantic.

7. Chinspinner

That's a strangely specific time. No, he's there for about five days or so, maybe a few hours longer.

8. Ben414

The 127 hours comes from this cleverly titled movie, which has a similar scenario.

9. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Five days and a few hours? So, about 127 hours, then? ;)

10. Ben414

Damn. I really need to start paying attention.

cutecat22 and Bjørnar Munkerud like this.
  11. Chinspinner

Shit, some bastard stole my story!

cutecat22, Nicoel, Mckk and 7 others like this.
  12. aguywhotypes

aguywhotypes Active Member

While it might have been done before it hasn't been done by YOU before.

Mckk, Ivana and Komposten like this.
  13. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

Boy meets girl. They fall in love.

cutecat22 likes this.
  14. Dunning Kruger

Dunning Kruger Active Member

I like this. No mess about losing the girl and having to get her back. Straight to the point.

15. Dunning Kruger

Dunning Kruger Active Member

Darth Vader meets Lord Voldemorte. Hilarity ensues.

16. SocksFox

SocksFox Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

A story for a tree.

17. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

I recently started on yet another story that I will take forever to finish. It is an action, comedy, and fantasy (with maybe some parody) story about a young girl being hunted by other magical guilds/societies for her yet-to-be-known-and-unawakened powers. Following the last words of her father, she seeks the protection of a mysterious society called, "Realized Phantasmagoria," which is also the title of the story, and wishes to use their power to avenge her family. However, much to her dismay, she finds that the society is full of carefree layabouts led by an eccentric Director whom only takes on jobs that he feels like doing, and he turns down her request for help in revenge. At first, she is extremely concerned about her well-being in such a place, but she eventually learns just how capable everyone really is as she work alongside the society in their daily activities and slowly learns about her own powers.

The best part is that unlike other eccentric mercenary groups that you see in comedy stories, this society has no problems with their financial situation. As a matter of fact, their only two doctrines are, "we always complete the mission, and we always collect," so no such thing as doing jobs without getting paid later.

I would say this is one of my more fun and easy going stories where I do not try so hard. The setting is some random corner of modern Earth, so I would not have to explain some things while being able to use the familiar conveniences of modern society. Why fly under your own power when you can just sit and relax in a car?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  18. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

My main story is about human beings who, unfortunately, discover that they don't have any powers. It turns out, tragically, that nobody has powers. Powers do not exist in this world. One of the human beings is female, but most are male, so it's a comedy. Maybe. At some point, somebody eats scrambled eggs. That's all you get to know. :)

Another story involves a young man of eighteen years who is in a unique position and finds that it isn't as convenient and wonderful as it originally seemed to be. Shit gets real and he doesn't know what to do about it - better figger it out quick, kid!

A third story is about a professor of archaeology and his grad students. They are looking for a famous sunken ship, but find something much older and more mysterious that changes their lives forever.

19. Bjørnar Munkerud

Bjørnar Munkerud Senior Member

Here are a few of mine (with working titles because I haven't decided on all the titles yet):

Jack: A young man from Earth is brought to another planet by a goddess along with eight others to protect that planet from mysterious monsters who are about to overrun it.

Joke: An Irishman screws in a light bulb, walks across the street and enters a bar with an Englishman and a Scotsman. He then realises he's trapped in a world where everything's a joke. Literally.

Natalie: Two men get lost separately in the middle of winter and meet eachother, and they have to work together to sort out their personal issues and get along with a mysterious young female hermit they meet to make their journey back to civilisation, but more importantly than that, find the inner strength to want to go through with this troublesome journey in the first place.

Invi: The story of a girl with the magical ability to know everything about everyone just by looking at them. Her life is turned upside down when she comes across a villainess who's immune her ability.

City: A young British boy is hell-bent on world domination, and even though he intends to be a benevolent dictator, his methods for achieving said position aren't exactly conventional. (Hints: his psychology and geography grades are the best in the country and his love for robots is borderline creepy.)

Magora:
    Aliens have tasked a human ally of theirs to recruit six righteous heroes to serve as humanity's defence against extraterrestrial evil.

Myth: Amidst political rivalries and power struggles an entire continent is swarmed by giant humanoid insect zombies. The survivors have to sail the vast ocean to find a race that is willing to help them defeat their foe and retake their homeland. But on their voyages they realise that to receive a favour, you better be ready to do one in return.

Last: Right after the apocalypse a man travels back to his hometown after finding out his siblings and his mother's entire side of the family have been wiped out. He murders his stepmother, who has been driven insane by the MC's father's death, and discovers his stepbrothers are still alive. They join up and escape to the wilderness, but soon find reason to believe there are people out there who have taken advantage of the disarray present in the post-apocalyptic wasteland in which people now live and are in serious need of some ruthless arse-kicking.

Scan: About to have his country be conquered by vicious foreign tribes, a president of one of the last free countries in the world subjectively documents what life is like in his increasingly lopsided world.

Suicide: A shy girl contemplates killing herself after she's been having a hard time at home and has fallen deeply in love with a boy at her school who she's convinced doesn't fancy her and who has a just gotten a girlfriend. Unbeknownst to her he's unhappy in the relationship and plans to kill himself because he feels guilty after he dumps his girlfriend and she ends up killing her brother because of her emotional instability. The girl at his school is unaware of these things having happened and makes her way to a skyscraper, planning to fall from it to her death, but encounters the boy on his way to do the same, and the two talk eachother off the edge and walk home hand in hand.

Vampire: One summer a young man is alone in the house whilst his parents are off on holiday. One night during a rainstorm someone knocks on the door. On his doorstep stands the most beautiful woman he's ever seen. Except she's not really a woman. She's more of an ... elven demon angel vampire, and she needs his help to save her girlfriend. Ouch!

See also: https://www.writingforums.org/threads/comments-welcome-on-some-of-my-novel-ideas.130614/ where I've pitched a few of my story ideas, with some overlap with the synopses I've just written here.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2015
  20. Ms. DiAnonyma

Ms. DiAnonyma Active Member

I guess I'm not the only one to find it a little funny that chinspinner's idea has kinda already happened? (Ok, like, something rather similar has happened).

For some reason, I have a strong aversion to telling someone practically anything about a story (mine or not) and generally agree with Ben414... But...

In The Color Red, I stuck a couple of characters in a situation on Mars, (and terribly overwrote it; working on posting a revision).

And I'm weighing whether or not to freeze a novel idea...
    Basically, a girl lives in a perfect utopia... except for that the principal means of making it so is the routine removal of everyone's bad memories... Of course, she's disturbed by this, and seeks to do something about it... Ultimately, the story's about suffering, and understanding the value of it. (Feels sensitive, and I think I will spend a long time "researching", as I feel simply so young with the topic).
    However, I'd appreciate it if someone told me if it's really similar to something else, :)-) or just not intriguing enough to worry about.

Lots of neat ideas, thanks for posting!

21. drifter265

drifter265 Banned

This has turned hilarious.

22. Bjørnar Munkerud

That's not an excuse for plagiarism!

"You've been printing money in your living room?" "Yeah, but it's not like I've done it before." WTF

cutecat22 and Nicoel like this.
  23. Gawler

Gawler Senior Member

Australia via Hawaii via Australia via England
    Mine is about a dinner party with Oliver Reed, Germaine Greer, Julian Clary and Mary Whitehouse.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    cutecat22 likes this.
  24. Bjørnar Munkerud

Hopefully you manage to spell Clary correctly ... and avoid copyright. It sounds great, though. Just sayin'.

25. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Dark Fantasy. Low magic. Ultra real. Morally ambiguous characters. sex. BLOOD. MAGIC. INCEST. AWESOME. REALISM.