Tags:
  1. Penny1234

Penny1234 Member

Need help with a scene setting?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Penny1234, Jan 25, 2019.

Hey,
    I'm so happy with the way my book Rush is currently going. I've spent the past few weeks making the plot solid.
    But now I have an issue.
    I'm lacking a key component to the story.

To get to the point, I need to invent a company the characters plan to do a (monumental robbery of) all I know right now is that it happens in a Chicago skyscraper and they have gotten inside help.
    I've got the emotional sides of the scene just how I wanted them. One of the big characters dies and the other (my female lead) is taken. But I have no idea what type of company would hold such large amounts of money without it being the traditional bank-break?
    My female lead is an incrediable hacker, so I was thinking maybe a made-up tech giant? but I'm really stumped. (and clearly not very buisness minded.)
    Any ideas guys?

2. Infel

Infel Contributor Contributor

Hey there Penny! Welcome to the forums!

I don't know if there needs to be any physical money involved, but if your lead is a great hacker, would it be feasible to say she had the username/password to one of the CEO's personal computers, and needed access to THAT computer to do some wireless money transfers? Or maybe stock transfers? Then she could frame whoever for embezzlement in the process, and eschew some of the blame.

Just a thought!

3. Penny1234

Penny1234 Member

Thank-you ,
    I like that idea! Maybe they take the CEO hostage to transfer the money.
    My main lead is a hacker working for a criminal organisation but earlier in the book she was captured by the FBI and is now working with them to get 'off' her prison term as it were.
    So having a hostage situation, as you said on one specific computer would work.
    Now I just need a company name?

thanks a bunch :)

Infel likes this.
  4. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

A hacker could steal data worth millions. Why deal with cash when information will get you transferred funds to a foreign bank of your choosing. That being said I would go for something like gene editing where an off book company has created a super soldier.

CRISPR/Cas9, is an RNA-guided targeted genome editing tool – allows researchers to do gene knockout, knockin SNPs, insertions and deletions in cell lines and animals. The CRISPR/Cas9 genome editing system requires two components, Cas9, the endonuclease, and a guide RNA (sgRNA); sgRNA guides Cas9 to the location in the genome sequence specifically. With the protospacer-adjacent motif (PAM - the sequence NGG) present at the 3′ end, Cas9 will unwind the DNA duplex and cleave both strands upon recognition of a target sequence by the guide RNA.

5. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Sounds like a Robert Redford movie called "Sneakers"

6. Penny1234

Penny1234 Member

Oh, I've not heard of that one. (after googling lol) Its got a few small similairties but its not really the route I've gone for. My book is very crime meets romance, and the guy (gang) she's chasing is actually her husband.
    but it was an interesting insight!