1. wardell

wardell Member

need help with character

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by wardell, Feb 7, 2015.

So I came up this mysterious guy I use his for a lot of stories. he is never in the same time period but he's not a time traveler or a vampire in most of my stories he is an observer or a guide or some Times a punisher the only power he demonstrates is appearing or disappearing from a room. I can not for the life of me come up with what he is. Every thing I come up with has been done. I fear I'm losing my imagination I need help

2. Chinspinner

Chinspinner Contributor Contributor

Why does he appear and why does he disappear? Is there some specific circumstance that must be fulfilled first?

3. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

If he is meant to be mysterious and not much known about him, don't bother explaining it. Explanation is what tears down mystery.
    Just write him as needed, and leave it at that. There doesn't have to be more to him for the reader as long as he isn't beyond random or a deux ex machina type.

4. Nicoel

Nicoel Senior Member

Exactly what A.M.P. said - don't bother about describing him with a name!

If you really feel the pressing need to label him as something but can't find anything that he matches already in literature - make something up! It's your world. If anything make up something (like Hytalius) and let the descriptions of his character be the definition.

5. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

Is he good or bad? I'm going with either an angel or a demon - depending on how you answer the first question. But maybe that's becasue my story has angels and demons.

Either way you don't get immortality without something supernatural - so either you have a spiritual being or a human who has been granted immortality by something outside the human realm (A lot of stories about people who live beyond their years come from something like this). If you chose to make him human rather than angelic, I'd look for various mythological explanations for how he gained immortality and why he has to serve the role he does - this is the core of a lot of immortality storylines whether you're talking about vampires, ghosts, or Faustian bargains (aka people who sell their souls - Faust, Ghost Rider, you name it). If you do that I'd look into some sort of Faustian bargain and then just determine what entity holds control of his soul, and for what purpose he's still alive. Or if you don't like the sold-soul aspect just explain it away as him being cursed by someone back in the day and he has to accomplish something to gain release.

6. I Am Vague

I Am Vague Active Member

If you feel that it's already been done before. EVERYTHING'S been either done or thought of these days. Being original relies on the story.