Need help with characters that may seem controversial and too generic

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Loophole3232, Feb 15, 2019.

1. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

You could ask why and if the characters in Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat are dated or offensive.

2. Loophole3232

Loophole3232 Banned

Yes but those certain characters where created based on somewhat stereotype archetypes from over 30 years ago.

I'm starting new characters from scratch which would be perceived differently I think.

3. John Calligan

John Calligan Contributor Contributor

Yeah, it will be held to a higher standard. But this sort of thing is talked about figuratively, all the time. If you figure out how or why those characters are perceived negatively now, you'll learn a lot about what you can get away with.

4. Loophole3232

Loophole3232 Banned

Unless I avoid making most of them human? Like the drunken fighter, what if I just made him like a Monkey King but a drunk style one who's now fat and maybe for the female cybercop I don't need to worry as I don't think there is anything offensive about that one.

5. Asher Janos Hawthorne

Asher Janos Hawthorne Member

I think you may be over thinking it. go with that if you want, but i honestly recommend not thinking about the race of the character too much, just let the character description flow. Then again i'm just that type of person, it's all up to you man. i hope it works out for you no matter what.

6. Loophole3232

Loophole3232 Banned

Maybe I can have the same storyline like he was a master martial arts trainer then lost everything,becoming a drunk, finds this Roman worshipping god cult, drinks the magic brew giving him ultimate powers part of his backstory lore and then enters a fantasy world with immortal Chinese gods he visions becoming the drunken fist master turning him into a powerful drunken god warrior and his race is never mentioned?

Or would it seem better if I have the same kind of story but instead he's from another time like ancient China?

7. Asher Janos Hawthorne

Asher Janos Hawthorne Member

Again do whatever you feel comfortable with. if you want him to clearly be a black french canadian go for it. if you want him to be a vague french canadian, go for it. It's your story man. everything i've said is just personal opinion. that being said i do like the storyline you had originally. there's a lot of fun that can be had there.

8. Loophole3232

Loophole3232 Banned

Okay good as long as it doesn't sound racist or offensive in any way :) not sure why I was told it could be by others, even from the description I gave to you, like they said it would be very offensive if he's black.