1. SethLoki

SethLoki Retired Autodidact Contributor

A skip and a dump...

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by SethLoki, Apr 25, 2020.

Here in Blighty if we're doing a house up/clearing one out we can hire a skip of the sort seen in the picture. Save for chemical dodgyness we can pretty much chuck anything unwanted in it and the 'skip dippers' /waste recycle guys will haul its contents away.

What's the equivalent for the US? Similarly named? Are they of the same sort of shape /dimensions? Permits req. if on road or property's verge?

If the rules for them differ state to state I'm chiefly after the rough regs for Montana.

Avenue-Sale.jpg

Attached Files:

Justin Attas likes this.
  2. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

Round these parts (Illinois) they're called dumpsters. The ones I've seen have all been rectangular, but about the same size. I've seen them in driveways and sitting in yards, sometimes at the end of long trenches from pushing them into the yard, though sometimes they're dropped more skillfully from a flatbed and don't damage the grass as much.

There are also smaller soft-side versions, made of cloth. They look something like wading pools. The sides apparently have some kind of stiffeners in the corners to make them stand up.

I wasn't even sure what a skip was until I read your post, I thought they were like bulldozers or something. I don't think most Americans would know what it means. Though I have heard the word, just no idea what it referred to.

SethLoki likes this.
  3. SethLoki

Helpful cheers, had it in mind 'dumpsters' were on wheels, plastic lidded, and out the back of commercial premises. Is it a one word fits all for them?

4. Xoic

Yeah, it is. They're not usually on wheels though, or I haven't seen them that way. The ones behind buildings have a plastic lid that slants I guess to help keep rain from getting inside, whereas the ones they'll put in your yard don't have lids. Let me dig up a couple of pics real quick. BRB.

[​IMG]
    "A dumpster is a type of movable waste container designed to be brought and taken away by a special collection vehicle, or to a bin that a specially designed garbage truck lifts, empties into its hopper, and lowers, on the spot. The word is a generic trademark of Dumpster, an American brand name for a specific design. Generic usage of skip or skip bin is common in the UK and Australia, as Dumpster is neither an established nor well known brand in those countries."
    —From Wikipedia.

Oops, I guess some do have wheels! I'm more familiar with this kind:
    [​IMG]

Those are permanent ones that sit behind stores.

I'll try to find some pics of the kind they'll put in your yard.
    Ok, here. Sorry, it's just a thumbnail. having trouble finding bigger pics that allow hotlinking. I guess dumpsters are hot property.

[​IMG]

They'll often be dark green or blue, but sometimes crazy bright colors. And they'll sometimes have wheels or little peg legs at the corners. Sometimes wheels at one end and legs at the other.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  5. SethLoki

Thanks for the foraging and pointers @Xoic , the one in your last pic is the type I imagined for my (scene) setting, just feel, what with the generic/brand-namey term, I'll need to refine a bit as it's crucial it's an open top version of the dumpster. < Prefer not to describe it that way if there's a one word fits solution. It's a plot point that the contents within will have suffered a bit of weathering before collection. Builder's dumpster? Clearout dumpster? < They things?

6. Xoic

Builder's would work. Clearout or cleanout, maybe, but not commonly used. Construction or demolition dumpster maybe. If you said driveway dumpster—no, that might be confused with a regular trash can, maybe just a big rectangular plastic bin with a lid. Maybe a haul-away dumpster or a rental dumpster. In fact of these I think rental would probably work best.

7. SethLoki

Thanks, rental it'll be. I'm going to somehow get across that it's lidless/ discarded stuff has suffered the elements. We can happily report today we've talked rubbish yet been productive!

Xoic likes this.
  8. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

When I saw the "skip and a dump" title of the thread I thought we were doing a play on the phrase "hop, skip, and a jump." Or maybe somebody was skipping along and accidentally shit themselves, which will happen to the best of us on occasion.

Iain Aschendale, matwoolf and Xoic like this.
  9. Xoic

Same. Exactly.

10. Cdn Writer

Cdn Writer Contributor Contributor

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America
    Currently Reading::
    TRYING (!!!) to read Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire" series.......it's soooo many books!!!!!
    Google 1-800-GOT-JUNK

The other is college hunks hauling junk, I think.

There are apparently a good business because they do offer franchises. Usually a business has to be making 15% to 20% before they sell franchises and the franchise's will usually make 7% to 8% after paying the franchise fees and costs.

Scott

11. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Telemachus Sneezed
    Definitely a dumpster. Not going to link so as not to provide advertising, but here's a segment of a page I found:

_20200426_205128.JPG

SethLoki likes this.
  12. Naomasa298

Naomasa298 HP: 10/190 Status: Confused Contributor

Yeah, I thought it was a new Olympic event.

Xoic likes this.
  13. SethLoki

err yeah, element of pooptathalon.. there’s the skip, the long, the high, the triple, and flinging finale.. throwing the disgust.

Cdn Writer, Xoic and Iain Aschendale like this.
  14. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Got curious on this one. Billings, MT is the only proper city-ish entity in the state; there's a lot of empty space there. There are only three cities with a population over 50k and Billings is the only one over 100k, state population just barely over a million (roughly the same as it was back in the 90s when I roomed with a dude from Montana).

Here's the page for the Billings rules on garbage disposal, down towards the bottom it seems that you can rent a dumpster from the city: https://www.billingsmtpublicworks.gov/183/Garbage-Collection

15. matwoolf

matwoolf Banned Contributor

Why would any population ever say 'dumpster' when 'skip' is one single, simple syllable. Completely baffling & explains so much ABOUT ALL THE PROBLEMS OF WORLD HISTORY EVER. DO NOT REPLY [[RAGE!!]]

Xoic likes this.
  16. SethLoki

Cheers Iain for info, handy... antagonist is an off-gridder, so Montana be setting of choice. At Mat, he’s single syllable grunter, dumpster dips in the town when low on supplies.
    Swings and roundabouts mind, we squeeze extra syllable in Aluminum.

Xoic likes this.
  17. matwoolf

Mmmm, can's see my off-gridder telephoning 'your handy dumpster delivery.' Wouldn't he haul one of those gigantic refrigerators to 'Nelson's Hole'/Van Dyman's Dyke'?

also...plagiarism here?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    SethLoki likes this.
  18. Iain Aschendale

Telemachus Sneezed
    Oh man... Montana is one of those states that's pretty sure they can have laws, but not sure if they need them just yet. They didn't even have speed limits on their highways for quite some time. Twice!

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a14511978/montana-was-once-the-last-bastion-of-hot-nasty-bad-ass-speed-feature/

Your dude can keep a dumpster full of plutonium and endangered owl-hides in his front yard while playing the national anthem at top volume from the roof of his log cabin, the neighbors won't care as long as he's downstream.

SethLoki and matwoolf like this.
  19. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I might finally get that gold medal I've been dreaming about.

20. SethLoki

Silver...in this sport No 2 is King.

21. matwoolf

Euch..

22. bobbybirds

bobbybirds Member

Not that it may matter at this point, but the disposal dumpsters also frequently get called simply ‘bins’. As described, here in North America they are square edges and generally rectangle. While not on wheels, they have rollers on the ends for being dropped off and picked up by the container trucks and are winched on and off.
    The other, smaller types used by many for simple property clean up etc are soft sided like giant canvas shopping bags with large canvas straps that are used by a truck with a picker arm to hoist them onto the removal truck.

SethLoki likes this.