1. Life705

Life705 New Member

Could anyone suggest an ending?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Life705, May 23, 2009.

I've made a basic plot to my post-apocalyptical story tonight, and think i've done quite well :). But naturally, i'm stuck for an ending, could anyone suggest anything? (Also, if anyone would like to suggest adding anything to the plot overall, please do).

Following a nuclear/biological war, 90% of the human race is wiped out. Matthew Cutter, the main character is a young man who is unhappy with the way his group are living in the absence of the requirement for human morals. The group are living in a safe zone, shared with a small section of soldiers. These soldiers frequently infiltrate and if necessary, attack the group in order to obtain supplies. During one infiltration, Matthew comes face to face with one of the soldiers and after a struggle, murders him. After a discussion with his friend, he decides he should leave the group to avoid confrontation with anyone. Matthew leaves the group he is living with and is picked up by the soldiers in his sleep. The soldiers admire his farming and engineering skills as well as his previous military experience. They accept him into their group as he explains to them that he is living by himself. By living with these soldiers, he learns that living without human morals in the post-apocalypse is essential for survival. He finds a new home with these men and adapts to their way of living. One night, Matthew returns to his previous home to find it empty. He discovers his friend in hiding who explains that another group of soldiers came and killed the rest of the group. He takes his friend back with him to his new group and convinces them to let him stay. Before they can decide what to do about this new group of soldiers, they are compromised by them. Outnumbered, they decide to leave their current position in order to survive. They are forced to live amongst deadly biological fallout for weeks until they come across a group of dead soldiers who possess a map which highlights all of the safe zones in the country. They journey across the country towards a snow town in Scotland where the biological fallout isn’t able to survive. Along the journey, they come across a group of civilians who are armed and manage to kill one of the soldiers. Yet, their training is used to an advantage and they massacre the civilians and scout through their supplies. They find a map which is apparently more recent and updated and states that all of Scotland is engulfed in fallout and biological ammunition. Upon a visit to a nearby RAF base, the group discover an operational helicopter and conveniently have a pilot amongst their ranks. They decide to return to their original safe zone and fight off the soldiers who had attacked them previously.

Thanks for reading =]!

2. TheNewGuy

TheNewGuy New Member

Sounds like a good movie! So for the ending....

I've got no problem with the plot, but you might want to add some other things (like an internal struggle, a love interest (or femme fatale or damsel in distress; optional), maybe some other things that make heroes heroes, but I can't really list that here. Maybe I'll write a book ;).

The ending: They have to win, right? If they lost there would be no point, unless they die for a good reason.

OR: You could have them talk to the other soldiers and come to an agreement, form an alliance and begin to 'repopulate' the world, discovering that they are human and have human feelings after all.

If you just want to slaughter the larger group of soldiers, you can make the last part of the book a big long tactical fight or a short strategic plan to blow something up and kill the bad guys.

All of those seem like typical (you might have to put a unique spin on them) endings. I hope I helped. You can question me if you want!

Good luck,
    The new guy.

3. Life705

Life705 New Member

Cheers NewGuy, I was actually considering having some love interest with the main character in the original group he was living with but I wasn't too sure how well it would work up against this concept I've thought of. The endings you put forward were good too, i'll definitely put some thought into them. =]

4. AngeloBraxton

AngeloBraxton New Member

Well, I think there should be a huge final battle where everyone dies. That's what I would do. Maybe you could add a few twists. I don't know, it ain't my story.

5. JavaMan

JavaMan New Member

Nice plot... good plot... fur sur! :)

But can you write it well? and, assuming that you think that you are a good enought writer for this story, can it be marketed?

6. Life705

Life705 New Member

I was wondering as to whether it could be marketed originally, thats why I'm asking for feedback regarding the story in other threads as well. But I'm fairly confident I could write it, yes =]

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Plot summaries won't tell you that. If you write the story well, you should be able to sell it. If you don't, you won't.

Too much stock is placed in the story concept. Many of the best books ever written sound completely unremarkable when summarized.

8. B-Gas

B-Gas New Member

Following on from Cogito-

"A pair of small people take a piece of magical invisibility jewelry to a far-off evil kingdom to destroy it. Along the way they meet up with another small person- except he's turned evil- and a giant spider. Meanwhile, an elf, a dwarf and a human fight a desperate war against swarms of enemies. And another two little people convince giant trees to destroy a wizard's tower- the wizard's in league with the evil kingdom, see. While that's all going on, another wizard beats up an ancient demon, fends off nine great evils and generally keeps on saving the day in the background. Eventually, the human convinces an army of spirits to fight with him, and uses that army to save the day, while the little people who are bringing the jewelry back to the evil kingdom succeed- but at what cost?"

I'm sure there's a way to write a more cohesive summary, but summaries alone can't help you.