Tags:
  1. Light

Light New Member

Need help with my plot

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Light, Mar 23, 2009.

I am taking my first real stab at writing a story/novel.
    I settled with a plot that I like, but I am struggling with one key point.
    I hope guys can come with something that will help me.

I am using the Snowflake method because I am new to this. Here's a brief overview -

"Hunters wife was abruptly taken from him in his own home, now he seeks revenge from the kidnapper. Only to find out its a Vampire who took her. Hunter must put all his fear behind as he faces the most dangerous predator of them all. He must fight off a league of supernatural enemies to reach his wife..
    Once he finally reaches his wife, he finds out that she has been turned into a cold hearted Vampire and all her love for him has gone. Hunter has to kill his own wife to survive this chaos and to protect his son."

Now I am starting to write the plot in more detail, but I haven't figured out how he actually finds out that the kidnapper is a vampire.
    The only thing I can think of is that he tries to stop the kidnapper and finds out that way. But I wanted Hunter not to know his wife is missing till the next morning.

Do you guys have any ideas?

2. Castlesofsand

Castlesofsand Banned

hard to say

strong scent of decay, old blood. how does one know a vampire was there without reverting back to the old hollywood rot descriptions. a witness to the crime would be the best. saw them leaving but some sort of locomotion(not batwings) carriage or if modern(car). goes to an edler for advice, they hint at what it might be. lots of these types out there so making it unique would be tricky, if you follow the normal route well then you have to tell it better than they.

the thing about vampires is they are a myth(not including those who practice it now) you could use a modern day vampire cult. not so much as 'Underworld' but there are actual cults that practice that are, could go that way, license plate on the car that took her away, track it through the motor vehicle branch.

your story, your ideas, good luck

3. Light

Light New Member

Thanks for the reply.

And this suggestion is a good idea for me. I could have the neighbor witness the car the vampire used.

Thank you. =]

4. Dcoin

Dcoin New Member

Don't even let the reader know that the kidnapper is a vampire. The husband can find out as he hunts them, let the reader find out at the same time.

Make the clues real subtle. Let them find out as the book unfolds. Then hit the reader with the wifey twist

5. Light

Light New Member

That is a really good idea.
    I think I am going to go with this one!

6. Jace

Jace New Member

I say make the wife related to one of the created vampires..but you would have to reveal this towards the end of the book, to keep the reader interested.

You could even go further with Hunter and let him be created by his wife, resulting in a possible sequel..

Hope this helps

7. architectus

architectus Banned

I strongly recommend not hiding the fact he is a vampire because we will know, won't we? I mean can a writer drop hints that the killer is a vampire without giving it away? And if you just suddenly spring it on us, oh he's a vampire, we will feel jipped.

Besides, fans of vampire stories want to know it is a vampire story as soon as possible. Perhaps one of the witnesses saw the guy grow fangs, and his eyes glowed. Or saw him run up a wall or use some other vampire's power.