1. Knarfia

Knarfia New Member

Need help with slogan

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by Knarfia, Nov 15, 2012.

Hello, all. So, this is kind of embarrassing, but... I'm a food blogger. I know, isn't everyone? I've picked a domain name- "She Revels". For a slogan, I was thinking something like, "In food. In health. In life." Does this make sense? Can one revel in food, or only in eating it? I hope this isn't flagged as advertising, as I haven't even started posting yet, nor will I be able to for months. But if it is I do understand. Anyways, all input appreciated. Feel free to knock the name, too, I'm not so sure about it myself anymore.

2. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Revels is word for celebration.
    I can definitely celebrate in a good cheesecake.
    and I know people who revel in finding a new recipe so I think it works.
    ...Maybe add to it to make it relate more to food... The Epicurian Revel - almost sounds like rebel.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

k...
    'revels in' is most often followed by a possessive pronoun... i.e., 'she revels in her kookiness' or 'he revels in his freedom' and so on, as noted by peachy in re the connection to 'celebration' (sic), since 'revel' is a synonym for 'celebrate'... it is also used in re a state... i.e., 'they revel in the misfortune of others' and 'she revels in the chaos"...

so 'revels in food' isn't a common usage, though it has been used in re food and drink, as you can see with a google for same...

is the site 'sherevels.com' on wordpress yours?

4. JamesOliv

JamesOliv Member

Maia pretty well covered the workings of the word "revel" so I won't restate anything there.

But when I see "sherevels.com" it takes my brain a minute to process what it says. My first instinct is to try to pronounce it all as one word "sherevels." Then, knowing that there is no such thing as a "sherevel" I am able to double back. It isn't an easy to remember domain and every time I type it, I find myself mistyping it.

I would say you could "delight" in food, health and love. But I don't know what would be the best domain or slogan for your site.

5. Knarfia

Knarfia New Member

Yes, the site's mine. I rushed into purchasing the domain. The reason I chose the name was because I'd been a junk food vegetarian all my life, but became pregnant with twins and realized the importance of eating well. I overheard a conversation my mom was having with my aunt, where she said, "No, I'm not worried. She's been researching healthy diets and learning to cook, and is just reveling in it." For some reason, "revel" just seemed to perfectly describe how I felt about the changes I'd made in my diet, and my new found love of cooking. It also reminds me of She Devil, and my husband's nickname for me is Satan. Playfully, I think. And then there's the fact that I'm a child of the 80's, and would love to name myself and everything I own She-Ra, but just don't have the nerve. But, I don't know. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

6. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

A junk food vegetarian? Is there such a thing? Anyway I don't care particularly about your domain name, it isn't going to be what attracts readers to or repels readers from your site. It's the key words about your site, metatags etc that the search engines will hunt for.

But you're right in that a good slogan could help bring readers looking. To that end might I suggest something like -

In one end out the other!
    Botulism for beginners!
    The gormets guide to gastroenteritis!

(I always wanted to be a slogan writer - but for some reason no one seemed to want my skills!)

Cheers, Greg.

7. Knarfia

Knarfia New Member

Greg, you do have quite the knack for slogans!

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Ah, a real Hallmark moment. :)

9. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

knarfia...
    i have to agree with james' take on the site name... doesn't work for me, either...

it's no big deal to register another one and just let that one lapse, since you haven't developed the site yet... so you may want to consider picking a more visitor-friendly name and a slogan that will make sense on sight, instead of the reader having to work at figuring it out...