1. CMastah

CMastah Active Member

Need literary quotes with double meanings

Discussion in 'Research' started by CMastah, Dec 26, 2014.

Here's the thing, I have a character who speaks perhaps only in quotes out of literature (so I'll need stuff that ain't copyrighted :p), but finding the right quote is not easy.

So far:

A character says something that is obvious and he replies with: 'How very wet this water is' (to mean, 'obviously'), the line is from the wizard of oz.

I made up my own line for another situation (because I need short quotes, not large sentences) which involved his evil mother asking him to do something dark, to which he replies: 'I am the good son' (which is SUPPOSED to mean that he's obedient, but I don't like this line because it's far too ambiguous). I'd rather a different quote that reflects obedience, it doesn't necessarily have to mention being a son but that would help.

2. SwampDog

SwampDog Senior Member

From what you've said, are you referring to double meanings as in the double-entendre?:
    'I think women and seamen don't mix.' - Smithers in The Simpsons.

If you're looking for any number of quips by your character, then it sounds to me as if he's the humorous type, rather than simply having a mechanistic mode of speech. From there you could invoke metaphors, euphemisms and hyperbole. Imagination could run riot, without risk of copyright (if that's a worry.) Your character could even have his own style of quip:

'Mothers always know their sons.'
    'Oh, how very adjacent, Mother!'

You'll have your work cut out looking for literary quotes to suit each circumstance of your character. I'd be looking for something a lot easier, or you may find that your character is engineered to fit the quote, rather than the other way round.

Interesting idea, though.

3. CMastah

CMastah Active Member

I do mean double meanings but not sexually (I'm not sure, but I think double entendres refer SPECIFICALLY to sexual ones...but again, not sure)

The character is actually quite mechanical, almost inhumanly so (and it helps me that he's not a major character and instead has few lines :p).

4. stevesh

stevesh Banned Contributor

I like the idea of a character who only speaks in quotes. I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing you're looking for, but I've always liked the visual:

"Arguing with a woman is like trying to read a newspaper in the wind."

- Fjodor Dostojevski

5. CMastah

CMastah Active Member

Thanks guys, so far he's only appeared in one scene but when he crops up again (which'll be soon), I'll be sure to ask for help :)

For the quote on obedient sons, it's hard to find something good, most are long or far too clear (I'd rather something at least a little ambiguous).

6. cutecat22

cutecat22 The Strange One Contributor

"Of course, Mother. After all, I am the obedient son ..."