1. Achronos

Achronos New Member

Need lots of help!

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by Achronos, Feb 4, 2020.

Hey there,

This may be a lot to ask for a first time user of this forum, but I need serious help with a project I’m working on.

I’m creating an add on of sorts for DND 5e, and it will use many of the same core mechanics and rule sets. However it’s set in a dystopian future and I’m doing original classes, abilities, skill trees, etc...

Anyway I call it Demigods of Decay and I have a written intro/exposition I want to get opinions and constructive advice on. Since I absolutely don’t want to risk posting it openly and having my idea stolen I would LOVE if anyone interested in reading/helping messaged me and I’ll link it there (it’s on google drive). I’m having trouble with what I need to work on next and how I want to play out the main story, as well as gameplay mechanics.

Thanks and hopefully I’ll hear from some of you :)

2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Hi Achronos. I'm one of the forum moderators, and I want to welcome you here! I think many people join because they've got an ongoing project like you do, and they also feel they've got stuck. We are certainly willing to give you some help.

However, we do discourage members from joining up and immediately asking for Private Messaging. It's not forbidden, and you've done nothing wrong, but it's also what many spammers do, and that's not a good thing at all.

The best thing to do is to settle in first.

You don't have to reveal your storyline if you're worried about it getting snaffled, but what you CAN do is spend some time giving feedback to other members with their issues. You can visit the Workshop area and offer a few critiques on threads that interest you as well, which we highly recommend. You can browse the forum's other sections and zero in on anything that draws your interest.

We try to ensure that members are willing to give help as well as take it. So please just settle in, get to know us while we get to know you, and see if you can help some of us. That way you'll be likely to get more help yourself, in the long run.

To that end, please read these two links, which should help you get started with your membership here, and also give you an idea of how we operate.

New Member Quick Start

and

Forum Rules

And this link is basically a site map for the entire forum, which I use a lot because it's easier to navigate than all the tabs and menus on the Community page.
    https://www.writingforums.org/faq/

If you encounter any difficulties settling in, please don't hesitate to contact me by clicking my owl avatar and 'start a conversation' with me. I'll do my best to help.

Meanwhile I hope to see you around the threads. I'm sure you'll find the help you need here ...but just give it time? Make friends first, and do what you can to help some other folks who would appreciate some ideas and insight into their projects. They'll be more than happy to return the favour, I'm sure.

Cheers for now,

Jan

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  3. Kalisto

Kalisto Senior Member

First off, most people who are looking to steal work, will not likely steal work from a piece that is already derivative of another work (in this case DnD), from a creator who is unproven.(Now none of this means your piece is bad, by any means. Only that it's probably not a particularly appealing target for plagiarism.)

If I wanted to plagiarize, I would probably look to steal some work that has been largely forgot

Steve Rivers and J.D. Ray like this.
  4. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

As someone who started crafting character classes in 2e in the early eighties, I can tell you that it’s likely that the rudiments of what you’re doing have already been done. And, much like any science fiction or fantasy, it’s not the mechanics that interest people, but the stories. We here are writers, not plagiarists. I encourage you to share the stories you’ve written to explain how/why your world is the way it is. I also encourage you to avoid telling us about the mechanics of any particular character class, as (again) we’re writers, not game mechanic reviewers.

Welcome aboard, it’s a good crowd here.

Wreybies and Steve Rivers like this.