1. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

Can a pregnant woman go sledding?

Discussion in 'Research' started by peachalulu, Oct 23, 2014.

Hi, one of my characters is 3 months pregnant and in one of the scenes she goes sledding. I had actually forgotten she was pregnant when I was creating the scene and then realized - face palm afterwards - is this even feasible?

2. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I don't see why not, bellies aren't so big three months in though she'd probably lay on her back if not sitting on the sled.
    I'd think an expecting mother wouldn't sled, though, just out of instinct that she could injure the baby if she fell and landed hard.

peachalulu likes this.
  3. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Why not? There are some concerns about horseback riding in the first trimester, but I've never heard of a concern over sledding.

peachalulu likes this.
  4. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

I didn't think of the shaking actually.
    Depending on the slope, it can be very bumpy and sometimes you land hard multiple times in quick succession as you basically bounce down the hill.

5. elynne

elynne Active Member

pregnancies aren't usually that delicate--otherwise there'd be a lot less humans. the first trimester is tricky for many reasons, but external jostling isn't nearly as much of a concern at that stage as physiological changes in the host's excuse me, mother's body. a rapid change in temperature is far more likely to endanger the pregnancy than some bumping around.

peachalulu likes this.
  6. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

Well, that will teach me to speak before checking in an area that is not my specialty. Looking further it appears there is less risk in the first trimester as the fetus is safe in the pelvic cavity and the risk increases in the second and third trimesters.

Guidelines of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists for exercise during pregnancy and the postpartum period
    So it's not the bouncing necessarily it's the risk of trauma. So one can go sledding but one shouldn't sled in any high risk situations.

There's a lot of specific information in the guideline.

peachalulu and elynne like this.
  7. marshipan

marshipan Contributor Contributor

I can think of a reason why she wouldn't--still suffering from some harsh first trimester nausea, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, and light headiness. Haha! Though, s'pose she's in the clear if she's out sledding. Certainly not unlikely.

peachalulu and elynne like this.
  8. KeriLynn

KeriLynn New Member

With her only being 3 months it probably wouldn't do any damage unless she was just being very reckless.

peachalulu likes this.