1. Blue

Blue New Member

How would a floating Island float?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Blue, Jan 22, 2007.

The realm I am working on at the momment consists of a few larger Islands ( really countries ) and a lot of medium to smaller islands.

The psychic forces that the rock, of which makes up the islands body and keeps it suspended, are running low and I need to devise a plan to keep the floating/suspended so that they do not fall from the sky.

The ideas I am throwing around in my head are of magical means. The mages can recharge the stones to a certain degree but their psychic force fails to contest the force that the rocks once had and only stays in the rock for a few months at a time.

I was wondering if anyone else had any ideas on how the islands could stay afloat in the air? What could help keep them suspended.

I would love to hear everyone's views and ideas for I have come to be stumped and in a bit of a writers block at the momment unfortunatly :(

Any ideas on the topic at all would be most appreciated.

Peace,

Zoe ( the puzzled :confused: )

2. Ennubi

Ennubi New Member

what about physical but not real?

the islands could be made of some metal that reaction to the planet's core? ever see one magnet floating above another. people could understand it- or not and call it magic.

ennubi

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Some sort of elaborate hot-air balloon system?

4. Damien

Damien New Member

The Earth and all planets "float" in the universe, just like your islands might float in the sky. If you were to take four people and stretch out a blanket with a bowling ball in the center, the blanket would sink in the middle much like Earth sinks into the fabric of space and time.

Perhaps your islands could be sinking because the fabric of existence is comming to an end somehow, yet the islands are of another dimension or alternate universe and don't dissapear along with it. Maybe this dissapearing fabric feeds off of a person's heart, which is broken, or a King's power, which is weakening or some other such emotional connection to one of your charactures.

5. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

1) a repulsion spell (similar to how magnetic poles repel each other, but magic).

2) the island is temporarily magically renamed as "air," so that the air and the planet "sees" the island as just more air. An illusion spell is then needed to make the island look and function the same for people, pets, flying cars & whatnot (some fun plot points could happen if this spell breaks down in spots or something).

3) the island is towed out over the open ocean, where it is magically hitched to a pod of magic whales. Their spouting keeps pushing the island back up into the air, but since they spout irregulularly and asymmetrically, all sorts of fun/havoc may ensue.

4) the always reliable Skyhook :)

- Evelyn

6. Evelyn

Evelyn New Member

(Double post deleted.)

7. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Sounds similar to some books I read a while ago. The floating city was kept up by special rocks that were lighter than air. The rocks were kept in a room in the middle of the floating city's land mass.

You could have a similar idea, changing the rocks to have some sort of magical property that makes rock as light as air?

8. Alice in Wonderland

Alice in Wonderland New Member

Yeah! =D I loved those books. Haven't read them all as I became somewhat short in cash. xD