1. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

Duchess-Yukine-Suoh Girl #21 Contributor

Who should she end up with?

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Duchess-Yukine-Suoh, Nov 19, 2013.

My main female MC goes to work at a B&B while in college. Naturally, she hits dating gold, as it's filled with eligible males who live there long-term. The only problem now, is that I don't know who she should end up with! So, I need your help! Who should she end up with?
    Her options: (I tried to condense it as much as I could, keep in mind that I'm leaving out a lot.)
    -the stoic manager
    -the sporty guy
    -the flirty writer
    -the shy studious guy
    -the cheery British exchange student

Thank you in advance!
    ~Duchess

2. GingerCoffee

GingerCoffee Web Surfer Girl Contributor

OMG, the writer of course. ;) (Or maybe the shy guy.)

Juju Bagdasarian likes this.
  3. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

You need to write it and find out.

EdFromNY likes this.
  4. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

The one who treats her like a human being.

5. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

And this is?

6. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

Should I guess? Ah, I'll say the stoic manager. I assume he hired her for her ability to do the job.

jannert likes this.
  7. Wyr

Wyr Active Member

I think that you should have her end up with whichever guy treats her the best. That would depend on the personalities you give them and the way you write them interacting with her. Personally I think that dating her boss would be weird or even slightly creepy, but again it depends on the character.

8. Renee J

Renee J Senior Member

Now, I'm not sure if the boss would be a good catch. If you want to do something different, you could make the sporty guy the one who treats her the best. Usually, the jock ends up being a jerk.

9. Duchess-Yukine-Suoh

I really dol ike the sporty guy, and he is a likable character.

10. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Shy studious guy, because those are always overlooked in real life, as well as in entertainment.

11. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Need I say it?

It's your story. Whichever one you choose, it can make a fine story, so which is the story you want to tell?

12. KaTrian

KaTrian A foolish little beast. Contributor

Sporty Guy cos he's got a killer bod.

Seriously, I've no idea. Is this like one of those "choose your ending" games?
    If I can have my say, I find the nerdy/shy boy vs. bad boy jock setting quite predictable, so if it has crossed your mind, I'd re-think it in your shoes. In fiction, the hot girl always picks the nerdy/shy boy in the end. I honestly haven't seen this happening in real life as of yet -- which doesn't mean it can't happen, though, it's just that this is how it's gone a few times among my circle of friends and acquaintances: the girl sort of makes the shyboy think he's got a chance, but then she starts dating his taller, more muscular, more confident friend, and soon they have babies or own an apartment and potplants together and are oh-so-happy, and she never returns to the shyboy and confesses "you were right, he's a dick. You are my true love!" :(

13. Albirich

Albirich Active Member

I don't ask how my characters should end up. I choose whether they die or not. Find out yourself or don't bother at all. I'm not trying to be mean but you don't ask the fanbase how things should be (or anyone!) That only the writer can truly understand, feel and develop correctly.

If you let yourself corrupt by others opinion then suddenly your story might not be your own, then poof it went bad and everyone cries why the christian man suddenly believed in the raccoon deity. Of course you did it because others told you to, but was it right? No.

You can see examples of this in books, movies or whatever, changes thanks to a nip picky editor, agent or whomever tries to change your point of the story, and whom the MC decides to end up with is most likely of huge importance

14. Nilfiry

Nilfiry Senior Member

A battle royal is what you need. Put them all into a book with all their character interactions and what have you, and have them duke it out in colorful lines of text and find out who comes out on top.

15. HarleyQ.

HarleyQ. Just a Little Pit Bull (female)

Well, who does your character like the best? She should be the one to decide.

16. Man in the Box

Man in the Box Active Member

Hmmm, I'd only know if I read your story, because then it would be the one I'm cheering for. I'm leaning towards shy guy but you could've written him like a horrible person.

17. Oswiecenie

Oswiecenie Active Member

The one with the biggest assets, if you know what I mean.

18. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

The flirty writer after they collide somehow and their papers get mixed, her instructor recognizes the writer's work and gives her an F for plagiarism.

19. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

What kind of girl is she? She could theoretically end up with all five of them (college orgies anyone?) :D

Seriously, all kinds of people end up copulating with all kinds of people (there aee so many seemingly ridiculous couples that work perfectly and seemingly perfect couples who end up killing each other) ...there is a whole campus of possibilities...

That said, I vote for the shy studious guy :D

20. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Now wait a minute. The shy, studious guy probably has problems peeing when there are people next to him at the urinal. I can't imagine that guy getting involved in an orgy... :D

21. JayG

JayG Banned Contributor

Okay, some rules for writing a romance.

1. The protagonist meets the one she will end up with quickly. First or second chapter, usually.
    2. There is sexual tension quickly and it grows steadily, and is the focus of the story.

What you're proposing is to chronicle the life of your protagonist, and follow her around as she lives her life. Here's the problem: there's nothing to make the reader feel they have to read on. She goes out...she meets people...she lives her life. She could be anyone, and so she's no more or less interesting than anyone.

But...let her roommate turn out to be a serial killer—only she thinks the roommate is one of the good guys. Put her in danger, only to be saved by a handsome stranger, who turns out to be an undercover FBI agent, who thinks she's the killer.

Than you have a story. :)

22. Burlbird

Burlbird Contributor Contributor

@JayG Her roommate, who shows off his masculinity, turns out to be a sensitive guy. That's more in line with the particular genre here :)

23. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The triangle is also a time-tested pattern.

24. DrWhozit

DrWhozit Banned

Maybe in 1965...

Quite a few plots have the protagonist pitted against the antagonist to win the partner protagonist later. The hero may be introduced early on, in fact may be the proverbial sheep in wolf's clothing till the very end. Consider the movie "The Bride" with Sting, Jennifer Beal and Christopher Lambert.

25. JayG

JayG Banned Contributor

Not a romance novel. You might want to look at the RWA definition of what a romance novel is, because the publishers of that genre hew pretty well to that line.