1. Wes

Wes Member

I had a dream...

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Wes, Sep 21, 2011.

Is the "ghost with unfinished business" idea been done to death? Pardon the pun. I was half asleep when I got the idea. You know, when you're just starting to wake but not fully, and someone is yelling at you about somehing they supposedly told you to do but probably didn't. When you're contemplating suicide and just ready to leave it all behind you. Then this idea hit me. (The above is a slightly demented aspect of my life.)

So any way I got to thinking, my MC could be at the end of his rope, so to speak. Just tired of continuous bills, dead-end job, no social life that's not due to lack of trying. So one fine day he just decides that enough is enough. Goes to work to tie up a few loose ends and leaves at lunch. Loose ends: Delete important files from his computer, tell his boss what he thinks of him, tell that one certain snobby secretary how much a waste of good air she really is, that kind of thing. So after all that, he leaves at lunch and goes out to a old feild where he and his grandfather had walked dozens of times when he was younger. An old tree his grandfather had carved he and his grandmother's name into when they were dating.

With his rope in hand he tosses it over the lowest branch that's high enough to do the job. After he climbs the tree, puts the noose around his neck, and jumps, a weird thing happens. His feet hit the ground. Thinking the rope had snapped he reaches for his neck and realizes the noose isn't there. Now feeling like a complete failure, he doesn't bother to look up at the branch. He walks home. Maybe he just wakes up in bed as soon as the rope tightens. I haven't thought that far ahead. And I'm thinging maybe have a long dead friend of his approach after he starts to realize something's wrong. Like he goes on back to work, apologizes to someone and they just kind of blow him off. Kinda like in Sixth Sense (sorry for those of you who haven't seen it.)

I didn't mean for this to turn into such a long post. I just get caught up in a idea sometimes and my fingers just won't stop. If there are any ideas that I might have missed, feel free to post them. And I know an idea is what you make it, but I'd still like a little feedback.

2. D-Doc

D-Doc Active Member

That will do Donkey. That'll do.

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I see two types of posts like this....people who are too worried about not seeming unique enough, and people who feel like they need permission before breaking into untested waters. This is the first type of post.

The way to make a story completely unique is to write it in a way that is unique. Don't listen to anyone who says it can't be unique because it has a ghost with unfinished business in it. That's like saying "it's not unique because the main character has a best friend," "it's not unique because it has an ending" etc.

A lot of people will tell you that no story idea is unique because it's all based on the way you write it and the concepts have been done. This personally bothers me, a lot, because it gives so many people the idea that it's impossible for them to invent something new, or that all ideas have already been done and there's nothing original left to create. I disagree with that, but I also disagree with the idea that you *can't* use a werewolf/ghost/vampire/etc because of originality.

Write what you want. Don't ask what people think.

4. Irontrousers

Irontrousers New Member

Yeah sure, an idea is what you make it, but you don't even have an idea here. Dude tries to kill himself for no real reason, apparently fails, but then (gasp!) turns out he didn't! Jeepers!
    Does that about sum it up?

5. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

Don't worry how many times it has been done. How many stories have been written about young lovers from warring families (or tribes, or...) showing the tragedy of feuds? People still write them because each writer sees it through his or her unique perspective, and tells it with his or her own unique voice.

6. Reggie

Reggie I Like 'Em hot "N Spicy Contributor

I would have to agree with this, Mallory. When I posted a story concept on here about my main character having the ability to take a shortcut to his college, everyone told me that the idea sucked because it is either done before or nothing like this idea would happen to someone in real life. That's why we call it "fantasty." So It bothers me when people tell me that an idea can never be done right. Otherwise, J.K Rowling's book, Hary Potter wouldn't exist.

7. Tallandboring

Tallandboring New Member

A lot of people will tell you that no story idea is unique because it's all based on the way you write it and the concepts have been done. This personally bothers me, a lot, because it gives so many people the idea that it's impossible for them to invent something new, or that all ideas have already been done and there's nothing original left to create. I disagree with that, but I also disagree with the idea that you *can't* use a werewolf/ghost/vampire/etc because of originality.

This is so true, there is a never ending list of books that are totally unique in every aspect.
    Nothing bothers me more than when someone says that no book is unique, because it is a flat out lie.
    I don't have a doubt in my mind that this story can be totally unique in itself, if people weren't able to produce new and unique books, writing would've died out decades ago.
    I wouldn't be writing my book if there was something else like it, I'm writing it because its new.
    Writers making unique books is like someone pouring water into an ever-growing bowl, we won't ever be able to write every possibility.
    Well, I'm getting a bit carried away, I'm just trying to say that I am totally for you writing this story and I'm sure you can make it new and great.