Need to start my email list, and I'm scared

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by Catrin Lewis, Feb 26, 2018.

1. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

I've got one of those as well (mines led through the bit on the top menu which says "get your free book") ... though mine is not quite as smooth as Joanna's (that's because shes paying for convert kit and I'm using a free mail chimp). With her level of income and level of list participation I'd definitely go with CK too , but I'm not paying out about £200 a year when I don't need to

Also this is the link you put in the back of your book so that people go straight to the sign up page before they do anything else

2. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

[Raises hand] Marketing and promo is a major part of my day gig...

It's important to know that a large part of this is cultural. Modesty is very ingrained in UK culture, so a hard sell, or even hard marketing, would likely be a fail to most potential UK customers. In the UK a hard sell, or hard marketing would be seen as sleazy and the people who do it would not be trusted.

However...in some areas in the States --and this is very regional, so you really have to know what you're doing--people who don't market aggressively are seen as unprofessional amateurs. In those places, potential customers expect the "ask" and frankly won't buy from people who aren't blunt about asking. People in those areas don't like subtlety and feel subtlety is a waste of their time and want you to get to the point so they can buy or not and move on. They distrust people who don't ask.

ETA: In other parts of the States, the exact opposite is true.

That's why a one-size-fits-all approach to marketing is never a good idea. Always study your market and know your demographics and the likes and wants of the people within them.

ETA: Tagging @Catrin Lewis so she'll see this.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

In addition to what Shenanigator said it also depends on the demographic you are targetting, in general it's best not to generalise :D but those of the older generations are less tolerant of determined marketing than the younger folk

Shenanigator likes this.
  4. Shenanigator

Shenanigator Has the Vocabulary of a Well-Educated Sailor. Contributor

This. Moose, you bring up a really good point. The demographics are always just the "average case study," not everyone. There are always exceptions, and especially as creative people, we bristle at generalizations, because, let's face it, most of us are the exception to the rules of our own demographics. But since you can't market to everyone, you have to start somewhere, and in marketing and promo, we're usually not looking for exceptions to the rule. No one has the time or budget for that.

5. Catrin Lewis

Catrin Lewis Contributor Contributor Community Volunteer Contest Winner 2023

Yeah, I saw that on Twitter a day or two ago, that you had a new post, but I couldn't get the link to work on my Android phone. I'll try again on the computer when I've got a spare minute (and am not hanging out here).

6. big soft moose

Thats a concern it ought to be fine on mobile - the theme I'm using is mobile optimised. I shall have to check

7. Tenderiser

Tenderiser Not a man or BayView

How common are the regions where people are happy to be aggressively marketed to? I'm part of a close knit group of writers including Americans from three different states (east coast, west coast, and bang in the middle) and they all feel the same as I do.