Tags:
  1. 57WPM

57WPM New Member

Needing Some Advice

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 57WPM, Jul 23, 2020.

Hey,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post something like this, hopefully the Mods will point me in the right direction.

I hope you don't roll your eyes and think - god, she's moaning - no, but I'm aching.

I'm stuck, my passion has died out into a dim ember begging for something to come along and give it that 'Pizzazz!' I want it to roar, yet, I sit here lost, wondering what to do. Staring at the intimidating empty white screen. The never-ending blinking line more like an impatient finger, waiting.

Always waiting.

I understand writing is a hard, challenging and cruel hobby, it is all there in your head, you've just got to put it all into words and for some reason, you can't. So you feel like you've lost a game, a game where the only opponent is yourself.

You pit yourself into torment all because you cannot describe how somebody looks or get clever with words whilst so many before and after manage to string sentences together so effortlessly.

So, I was just wondering, how do you all manage through spells of doubt, depression and writer's block?

How do you manage to pick yourself out of the dark and force your way into the light? And prove to others but most importantly to yourself, that you deserve to shine?

Thanks, B.

2. Madman

Madman Life is Sacred Contributor

You've written this, which means you can write more. Start putting down words on the paper, make them sing well together, soon enough you will have a paragraph, later, a book.

I've had my own kind of struggle, where I can not get started with my writing, but when I do, the words flow forth. There may only be a few words one day, a couple of thousand another.

Step one is to situate yourself in front of your workspace. Step two is to conjure up the story, everyone has something to write about, write about it, you don't need to write perfectly on the first go. Just write!

There is no easy trick to it, no hidden secret everyone walks around with.

Some Guy and Steve Rivers like this.
  3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

What you need to do is get to writing. You don't need to have a great idea, just write everyday. I do a thing called freewriting where you just sit down and write whatever comes into your head, just make stuff up. Often, once you're writing it will turn into something, a scene that suggests a story or whatever. But if you're not writing (which forces you to think) then ideas won't come to you. You have to prime the pump, seed the earth, prepare the field. And other metaphors.

Another thing you could try—there's a great site called NovelWritingHelp. Even if you're not wanting to write a novel, I recommend it. There's a section on how to get ideas with lots of things to get you going. That link goes to the Roadmap page, scroll down a little and you'll find the section about getting ideas.

Bowie_the_Birb, Some Guy and ruskaya like this.
  4. Steve Rivers

Steve Rivers Contributor Contributor

It forms the basis of every post he writes here, and look how many he has after only seven months! So it must work. :supercheeky:

Some Guy likes this.
  5. Bowie_the_Birb

Bowie_the_Birb Member

No motivation at the moment? That's perfectly fine! Happens to all of us ;)
    I must say that the hardest part is getting started. You know what you want to write, just not how you want to put it into words. But once you do get started, it's a whole lot easier to get "on a roll!" But don't force yourself to write, that's no fun. There's always going to be those nights of little to no progress and a lot of thinking about writing, but in my opinion, it's effort put into writing nonetheless.
    I'm awfully curious about what you write/want to write! But also I'm wondering what made you want to write? It's such a big part of our lives (I'm assuming, this IS a writing forum lol), what made you want to join? Glad you're here!