Tags:
  1. sonosublime

sonosublime Member

Negative character arc

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by sonosublime, Mar 20, 2019.

Hi all,

I'm in the process of outlining a character arc for the protagonist in a trilogy.

The idea I had is for the protagonist to go through a positive change arc in Book 1, a negative corruption arc in Book 2, and finally a positive in Book 3 again where she finds her redemption.

But I'm worried about a negative character arc in Book 2 being a turn off for a majority of people. I have some pretty brutal things in mind for my protagonist.

Am I better off saving negative character arcs for side characters, rather than the protagonist that readers are supposed to be rooting for?

jannert likes this.
  2. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

I'd say no, in short. Write the story the way you envision it. In fact, maybe start writing now instead of slaving over an outline. You might be trying to decide too much, too soon.

If you create a likeable protagonist in your first 'book,' they probably won't become unlikeable in the second book, as long as you stay true to the character you've created and don't give them a personality transplant. Even if the characters do some awful things, there will be an understanding of them, in the mind of your reader, that should keep the reader on board.

Don't try to over-direct everything now. Just start writing at a point in the story—wherever it feels comfortable—where you have the strongest vision in your head of what is happening. Then move forward (and/or backward) to fill out the story arcs.

3. cosmic lights

cosmic lights Contributor Contributor

I think it's best t just write your first book, rather than outlining your trilogy. Write the tale you want to write because the chances are those "people" wont get the chance to read it anyway.
    It you set it up well, anyone who does get the chance to read it later on will understand your characters reasons for becoming negative and you can get them to like him/her in this book.
    Just focus on your first book. Although one author said (can't remember who) put all your good ideas into one book. Don't say this epic things or this cool change happens in the next book. But I can't remember the context of why this person said that. My book was a trilogy until I heard that, now it's all one book and I've found that has tightened up the plot a LOT.

Best of luck your character sounds like he/she will have quite a journey.

jannert likes this.
  4. XRD_author

XRD_author Banned

Authors do it all the time: establish the reader's affection for the character, and the reader will keep reading even when that character succumbs to their inner darkness, hoping the friend they grew fond of will eventually be redeemed.
    Happens in real life, too.

Harmonices and sonosublime like this.
  5. sonosublime

sonosublime Member

I actually find outlining really fun. Helps me plot out how plot, character and theme will complement each other and fill in plot holes before they can happen.

I have made a start (15k words) on Book 1 though.

Thanks, I do have quite the journey planned for my character.

I'm not saving the "real" conflict for Book 2. Book 1 started out as a stand-alone story. But once I finished outlining it, I saw the potential for a trilogy, and went from there. Book 1 has plenty of political and character conflict on its own. So much so that I'm having to avoid scrap some subplot ideas I had for Book 2 to prevent it becoming reptitious. At least, I hope so anyway.

jannert likes this.
  6. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    I have had a similar thought about an MC in my second book, but
    I think I kinda made her to be a bit on the darker side from the first
    book.
    I think it can be ok to have a morally dubious character, as long as the
    reader can understand the motivations behind the darker turns they
    take along the way. Not just doing evil for the sake of making things
    easier on them (or to make them come off as edgy, cool, and dark ).
    So, in theory it is fine as long as they are using the darker side of them
    for a means to a positive ends, and that they are aware of going down
    that road and how they manage to come back from going too far down it. :)

sonosublime likes this.
  7. Fallow

Fallow Banned

I'd outline whatever you want - it is just an outline. Then actually write the first book, get it published and return to the outline to see if it is still useful.

jannert, EBohio, sonosublime and 2 others like this.
  8. sonosublime

sonosublime Member

I'm not aiming to try and be cool and edgy, but because I thought a corruption arc would be genuinely interesting for her (she starts out very bright and happy, but wary).

And from my previous posts above, she has good intentions, but resorts to some bad things to do it.

As for coming back from that road, I would do a positive change arc in the next book where she overcomes the Lie she submitted to in the corruption arc.

Cave Troll likes this.
  9. EBohio

EBohio Banned

I think your fans would like the ending in the second book to imply that she will be trying to find redemption in the third book. That way they will be anxiously awaiting the release of the 3rd.

10. Cirno

Cirno New Member

I've always found the stigma and backlash towards negative character development a little annoying, honestly. Personal development isn't a linear hill, it's much more of a zig zagging rollercoaster that can sink at pretty much anytime, and I think stories about such an idea can be very interesting and relatable.

It's something that should definitely be handled with care though, considering it only takes a couple wrong moves for "interesting and likable asshole" to turn into "I want this person beat up" real fast. Still, I think if it's the vision you have for your character you should just do it either way; liquidizing your art in order to make it more easily digestible isn't gonna accomplish anything but making it feel shallow and soulless.

11. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I can names about a dozen character in The Walking Dead who we were supposed to be rooting for that have done some crazy shit. I’m not sure if they’re sinply given a pass because it’s the end of the world, but it doesn’t detract from them. Morgan, for example, is a fan favorite and he’s probably murdered more people than any of the bad guys (he walked around the woods for months killing anyone he came across.)

I think the trick is to humanize their decent into that. In The Walking Dead specifically, a series of events always cause the unraveling of the character’s mind. People don’t like the ends justify the means type of reasoning, but they’ll give a pass to someone on the verge of a psychological breakdown.

Rosacrvx likes this.
  12. sonosublime

sonosublime Member

How would you suggest going about this?

I'm wanting to avoid those couple of wrong moves. Any particular examples come to your mind?

I don't think I'd be aiming for a mental breakdown, but she's definitely going be in a dark place. How would you suggest humanizing her descent into that?

13. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

You say you are outlining a trilogy. Do you see this as one continuous story, or a series of stories? I ask because if you're looking to be published, a series (or the potential for one) is a good selling point, but a trilogy is a very tough ask (then again, if you're planning to self-pub, you only have to worry about what the public will think).

If you're planning on a series of interrelated, stand-alone stories, your idea of a negative arc in Book II could be very off-putting. Regardless of genre, people want to like the characters they read about. And a character who's been built up in Book I who turns villainous in Book II may mean they never get to Book III. I think a much better way to go is to focus on Book I, and have your character encounter something that brings out their worst trait, creating something internal that they must overcome by book's end.

I'm going to gently disagree with my good friend @jannert and say that jumping right into the writing when you're still juggling basic issues is probably a mistake. You should have a good idea of what your goal is before you start in with writing.

14. CAROLINE J. THIBEAUX

CAROLINE J. THIBEAUX Member

If your MC is well loved in book 1, your readers would want him or her to be redeemed. Perhaps add a little hope that that is possible?
    Sometimes the lessons learned are hard but that could be the purpose of the story.

I think it sounds good. Good luck