1. sammykay

sammykay New Member

I'm new!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sammykay, Jul 13, 2010.

Hey everyone! Just dropping by to say hi! I just self published my first book and I'm really excited about it! :p

2. Writing.Geek.

Writing.Geek. New Member

Oh! That's awesome.

What is your story called?

Welcome to the WF! (Writing Forums) :p

Happy Writing!
    -Writing.Geek.

3. sammykay

sammykay New Member

thanks! Am i allowed to post the link to my book? i was reading that you can't and that kind of bums me out :( It's called Andy The Spider

4. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Hello Sammy and welcome :D

5. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i'm sure you can tell us the title and who published it for you... just don't try to sell it here...

welcome to the forums and congrats on getting your work in print...

love and hugs, maia

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Sammy, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

Please read How to Use the Review Room before you post there. Posting your own writing for people to comment on should not be among the very first things you do here. It is worth taking the time to see what other people have done to improve their writing, and see if some of it applies to your writing as well. That is part of why we require members to review other members' work before posting their own for review. On the other hand, there are no restrictions, other than content and copyright rules, on showcasing your work in your member blog.

Also, be aware that posting a piece of writing on any public site, including this one, will greatly diminish your chances of selling it for publication. Removing the writing later does not alter that fact - once posted, it is irreversibly considered published. So do not post anything more than a small excerpt of any piece you are planning to submit for publication.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners. Remember to check out our FAQ as well, and be sure to read through the forum rules, too, to avoid any misunderstandings or hurt feelings. Respect for one another is our principal mandate.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize constructive critique as a vital writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room forums on this site, therefore, are true workshops, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work (and on that note, please only post each item for review in one Review Room forum). Also, please use the same thread for all revisions and additional excerpts from the same piece of writing. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

And while you're looking around, don't forget to check out the RPG forum for improvisational fiction. Also try our Weekly Short Story Contest and Weekly Poetry Contest. They actually run more than one week apiece, but any member may enter, and all members are urged to vote for their favorites.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

7. mammamaia

i see you self-published with amazon's newish pod spin-off, sammy... were you happy with both the process and the end result?...

i'm especially wondering about the quality of the books, since most self-publishing venues don't turn out quality product... is amazon's up to paying press standards?...

did they offer free editing?... if so, did they do a good job?

and how well has it been selling in hard copy vs. the e-book?

did you do the cover art yourself, or did they provide it?... if the latter, how costly was that?

hope you don't mind my being so nosy, but there are always some here who're considering going the self route and your experience with amazon's version can be very helpful to others, in deciding which way to go... same goes for some i mentor, who ask me about the various vanity publishing venues, so any info i can gather is helpful...

hugs, m

8. Fantasy of You

Fantasy of You Banned

mm, playing the role of detect I see!

9. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Welcome! :)

10. mammamaia

foy...
    no, i'm not 'detecting'...

i'm just looking for info to pass on to mentees and others, when asked about the various alternatives to paying publishing venues... i can't give good and valid advice if i don't keep up with the latest wrinkles, now can i?

11. sammykay

sammykay New Member

i only used amazon for their printing. i found freelancers on guru.com for my editing and my book cover which i got a good deal on. i think the quality of their books is great. I ordered 20 copies for my orders already and they were in great condition. i haven't sold any off amazon yet since it was just listed, so we'll see how it goes. i have the amazon link on my website to promote, so now I am just working on promoting. i wont use any of the other amazon services since they are too expensive

12. mammamaia

do they give you a good enough price to be able to resell at a decent profit?

good luck with your promotional efforts... and thanks for the info... hugs, m

13. sammykay

sammykay New Member

it depends on what you want to price your book as. If you pay a flat fee of $40 a book for life, the price is cut in half

14. write2breathe

write2breathe New Member

First off...Sammy, welcome & congrats on getting the book out there.

MM...thanks for asking the questions so many of us wanted to ask, but didn't have enough experience to think of.

~Bree

15. mammamaia

what's the lowest they'll let you set it at, sammy?... and the discount for that?

bree...
    i'm glad the info is helpful to you... this is one of the site's greatest pluses... sharing experience and info acquired with each other is that 'gift that keeps on giving'...

hugs, m

16. sammykay

sammykay New Member

well my book cost for 198 pages is 3.22. it was around 5.40 before i paid the 40 to cut it down