1. requiems4robots

requiems4robots New Member

Nervously new

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by requiems4robots, Jun 1, 2016.

Hi everyone! c:

My name is Ashes and I quit writing a very long time ago. I was scared of the inevitable rejection and criticism. Today, however, I am biting the bullet and signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo as well as these forums. I'm hoping to join your community and make friends to help me continue on my writing journey!

I have always loved writing. I've been writing since I knew how, and only quit when the fear became too much. I like to write fantasy and sci-fi, but I want to start writing some subtle horror as well. For Camp NaNo I plan on writing a dark fantasy novel, which is a little outside my comfort zone. I also plan on writing it entirely in third person, something I've never done before. Until then I'm going to work on my writing skills by writing short stories from all genres, and hopefully I can get some feedback here so by the time I begin my novel I'll be back on track!

I'm also very eager just to join an online community and meet new people that share the same interests as me. I don't have very many friends irl so I'll have plenty of time to devote to these forums and writing itself! My other passions include learning how computers work and the languages they speak, as well as studying mental health and pursing a path to reaching a healthy place mentally.

So yeah I'll quit rambling now! c: Nice to meet you all!

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  2. rnorris88

rnorris88 New Member

Welcome, Ashes! Good to have you on board. And don't worry about the rejection thing, once you accept that it's going to happen, the idea becomes much less intimidating. This coming from an actor with a bachelor's in theatre, who is used to a LOT of it!

You're not alone on the path to positive mental health, either. I've said before in another thread that I'm fairly sure 85% of writers have mental health issues of some kind. So we're in good company. Welcome to the loony bin!

Oscar Leigh, Lifeline and Lyrical like this.
  3. Lyrical

Lyrical Frumious Bandersnatch

Yep, this sounds true - for my limited experience, anyway!

Welcome, Ashes! This community is very helpful, and very addicting so it's easy to use as a procastination device. :-D But you'll find a wealth of resources here among some very knowledgable people, which will hopefully be helpful to you. Just remember that a lot of writing is subjective and opinion-based, so just because on person tells you how something should be done doesn't necessarily mean it must be done that way. Remember that writing is art and there is a lot of freedom in art, so be yourself here and don't worry about rejection among us, we're all in the same boat.

Oscar Leigh and Lifeline like this.
  4. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Yep, I know the fear. I started out writing dark fantasy too so I exactly know what you are speaking of. If you feel the need to cry on someone's shoulder drop me a PM..

But if you follow the siren song of your story where it leads it will get you to places 'no man has gone before' *snickers* Just keep on :)

Oscar Leigh likes this.
  5. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Well if you spark a torch, then it would not be dark any more.:supergrin:

Welcome to the Forum. Good luck and have fun.
    bang-head-on-keyboard.gif~c200.gif