1. MikeyC

MikeyC Active Member

Never get disheartened!!!

Discussion in 'General Writing' started by MikeyC, Aug 30, 2018.

We have all been through it. Rejection, rejection, rejection. Whether it is for an agent/publisher or to a magazine.
    Everyone copes with it in different ways. Myself, I have always just kept on writing and tried to ignore them, for some the rejection can be a real gut puncher. Don't forget, the agents/publishers and magazines are businesses, they are there to make money, they are run by people with emotions. They make mistakes, they regularly do not know what will make a success and what will flop. History shows us some of the greats that have been rejected!
    So, bear in mind those that had to go through what you are going through:

- Melville's masterpiece, Moby-Dick / rejected multiple times
    - ERNEST HEMINGWAY / was told 'I found your efforts to be both tedious and offensive'
    - GEORGE ORWELL - Animal farm - rejected four times
    - H.G. WELLS - War of the worlds - was told by an editor - “An endless nightmare. I think the verdict would be ‘Oh don’t read that horrid book.”
    - JOSEPH HELLER - catch-/22 - 22 rejections including “I haven’t the foggiest idea about what the man is trying to say. Apparently the author intends it to be funny.”
    - Vladimir Nabokov’s - Lolita - “…overwhelmingly nauseating, even to an enlightened Freudian … the whole thing is an unsure cross between hideous reality and improbable fantasy. It often becomes a wild neurotic daydream … I recommend that it be buried under a stone for a thousand years.”
    - RUDYARD KIPLING - “...you just don’t know how to use the English language.”
    One of my favorites:
    - STEPHEN KING - “We are not interested in science fiction which deals with negative utopias. They do not sell.”
    The list goes on! ...

But the one thing they cannot do, is stop you writing!!! Keep at it, and more importantly keep enjoying it. Read everything you can, hone your skills. And maybe one day your time will come.
    If you don't try, you won't succeed.
    I wish you all the best and have fun writing!

Rgds

2. Youssef Salameh

Youssef Salameh Senior Member

Thanks so much for the advice Mike. An advice for all indeed. Yes, a true writer never gives up , if he believes in what he is doing. Life never stops at dead ends.

Irina Samarskaya likes this.